can MTS work with more than 1 remote

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Rocket88

can MTS work with more than 1 remote

Post by Rocket88 »

I'm looking to get some gear for my daughter to get her started. She sings, but is looking to add some midi tracks as well. I've been looking at many midi controllers with piano keys, for say $100-200. However, these typically all come with rotary controls that are not continuous.

So, I was wondering, can one get a controller, like the Behringer X-TOUCH MINI Ultra-Compact Universal USB Controller, which does have cc control knobs, and then get another piano keyboard and use MTS with both.

Or can someone recommend a good starter remote midi keyboard, in the above price range.

Also, if I set it all up, is there a way to export the settings to a second computer?
Support

Re: can MTS work with more than 1 remote

Post by Support »

The Pro edition supports multiple MIDI In Devices in the Studio-->Devices window.

Are you sure someone who "sings, but is looking to add some midi tracks as well" is actually going to use rotary controls?

Giel Bremmers
Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 »

Support wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:44 pm The Pro edition supports multiple MIDI In Devices in the Studio-->Devices window.

Are you sure someone who "sings, but is looking to add some midi tracks as well" is actually going to use rotary controls?

Giel Bremmers
Ok, seems I need to upgrade, can you provide the link to where I can buy an upgrade to pro. Is it just the diff in prices? I just upgraded to the latest standard version from a very old pro version.

My older daughter (20s) wants to create her own midi tracks, maybe just to add some interesting backgrounds. She generally gets karaoke audio to sing to.

In reading the manual, I saw things like using rotary knobs for transport, zoom etc. Seems like it would make things fun, and that's the ticket to encourage her. She has 500 followers for her singing on YT.

As is always, I try things out first before I show her new stuff. That's what Dad's do :)

So, if I were to set it all up on my pc, is there an easy way to export the settings to a laptop?

BTW the manual says the mousewheel is supposed to be able to control things too. So far I'm not able to do anything more than control-wheel to zoom in/out. I am not getting anything different using shift. It says the faders and rotary knobs can be controlled via the mousewheel, but I can't get that to work. And the shift key in editors scrolls up/down, no different than w/o the shift key, not horizontally as stated on the shortcuts section.
Support

Post by Support »

Rocket88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:05 am In reading the manual, I saw things like using rotary knobs for transport, zoom etc. Seems like it would make things fun, and that's the ticket to encourage her. She has 500 followers for her singing on YT.
Ah, OK.

The Studio-->Remote Control feature isn't related to MIDI tracks. These devices just happen to use MIDI for communication.

You don't need the Pro edition for this: the Remote Control window has its own MIDI devices setting.
Rocket88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:05 am So, if I were to set it all up on my pc, is there an easy way to export the settings to a laptop?
Studio-->Remote Control lets you create presets. Studio-->Preference can export/import presets, so you can move them to a different computer.
Rocket88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:05 am BTW the manual says the mousewheel is supposed to be able to control things too. So far I'm not able to do anything more than control-wheel to zoom in/out. I am not getting anything different using shift. It says the faders and rotary knobs can be controlled via the mousewheel, but I can't get that to work. And the shift key in editors scrolls up/down, no different than w/o the shift key, not horizontally as stated on the shortcuts section.
Faders and rotary knobs respond to horizontal scrolling events. If your mouse doesn't have that you can keep the shift key down while using the 'normal' wheel. This really should work, not sure what could go wrong. Note that you have to keep the shift key pressed all the time.

Giel Bremmers
Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 »

You don't need the Pro edition for this: the Remote Control window has its own MIDI devices setting.
unless I am trying to use 2 remotes, yes? I am looking at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JLZCLS for the controls. Do you think this will work with MTS?

But then I also need a piano style keyboard, like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KLHYW1T

Or am I confused? Would the keyboard dials be enough? They are not continuous dials though.

Could you recommend something like this piano/keyboard that works with MTS (in that price range, it's $120)
Faders and rotary knobs respond to horizontal scrolling events. If your mouse doesn't have that you can keep the shift key down while using the 'normal' wheel. This really should work, not sure what could go wrong. Note that you have to keep the shift key pressed all the time.
I'm not sure what a horizontal scrolling event is, other than I do have a tilt wheel, which I map to page up and page down. These do scroll horizontal in MTS. But holding down the shift key while using the wheel and still only vertical scrolling occurs for me. With the control-key down, it will zoom however.

Thanks for the reply
Support

Post by Support »

MultitrackStudio supports just one Remote Control, as in "Studio-->Remote Control".

The MIDI In Device(s) in Studio-->Devices are recorded to MIDI tracks. Things like rotary knobs appear in the controller editors (see https://www.multitrackstudio.com/controllereditor.php).
Rocket88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 pm I'm not sure what a horizontal scrolling event is, other than I do have a tilt wheel, which I map to page up and page down. These do scroll horizontal in MTS. But holding down the shift key while using the wheel and still only vertical scrolling occurs for me. With the control-key down, it will zoom however.
Yes, the tilt wheel is what I mean.
Strange, I don't see any problems with shift.

Giel Bremmers
Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 »

Support wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:55 am MultitrackStudio supports just one Remote Control, as in "Studio-->Remote Control".

The MIDI In Device(s) in Studio-->Devices are recorded to MIDI tracks. Things like rotary knobs appear in the controller editors (see https://www.multitrackstudio.com/controllereditor.php).
Forgive a newbie, are you saying that I can have one remote control and 1 midi-in with standard, but several midi in devices with pro version?

And to be clear, a remote would be for things like setting mute/solo/rec mode, volume levels etc. Actions that are done while not recording.

And the midi-input controls, like some rotaries and faders and piano notes would be used while recording, and any changes I make to those become part of the midi "score" that is being created.

And unless I got one of the supported devices, I would need to map those controls to MTS? Are there any controls that are so "standard" that MTS would likely understand them w/o any configuration setup?

Thanks for your time.
Support

Post by Support »

That's correct!
Rocket88 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:06 amAre there any controls that are so "standard" that MTS would likely understand them w/o any configuration setup?
Not really. There's the HUI and Mackie Control protocols. Other than that there's no standard.

Giel Bremmers