Problem selecting track area for copy

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
bobnccc

Problem selecting track area for copy

Post by bobnccc »

First let me say that this software is great. I have been recording with mixing boards and tape machines (or hard disk recorders) for decades; the user interface is familiar and intuitive for me. I'm having one problem with it, and I think it's just a lack of clarity in the user manual, as I can't imagine this great program doesn't have this little bit of functionality that I am looking for. In the hard disk recorder that I have been using up until now, if I want to copy a section of a track, I have to manually select the bar and beat numbers for the beginning and the end of the selection. This is an easy and precise way to specify the beginning and the end of the section that I want to work with. I would like to do the same thing with this program, but I can't figure out how to do it. I can specify the placement of the needle by manually entering the bar and beat numbers in the bar/beat window at the top of the interface, but I have not figured out how to practically use this window (or any other method) to specify a selected area. I can drag and the cursor from the needle to select an area to be copied/deleted/etc., but I can't precisely specify the endpoint. While I can get very close to the points I want to specify, I never seem to be able to get the beat exactly right. For example, I have been aiming for beat 1.000 in a given bar, but the drag drop method always gets me just a teeny bit before or just a teeny bit after, and musically it's just not working). I just want to be able to enter the beat numbers directly instead of using the imprecise cursor drag method. Any help that anyone can give me here would be appreciated. As you can tell, I'm new to this thing.
Saz

Re: Problem selecting track area for copy

Post by Saz »

Try turning on "Snap" in the upper right tool/menu bar area. This will let you select precisely to a grid.
bobnccc

Re: Problem selecting track area for copy

Post by bobnccc »

YES! Thank you so much. It took me about 15 seconds to figure out that "to the nearest grid mark" thing, and it did the trick. I also found it in the manual, which I suppose I should read through instead of just treating as a reference. Much appreciated!