Static Noise and Clicks on Guitar track playback

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
georghi

Static Noise and Clicks on Guitar track playback

Post by georghi »

i have been using the Pro version and it's great -- only thing is i seem to be getting some noise, buzzing and some clicks when i play back recorded guitar parts.

i have the audio drivers set to ASIO and tape monitoring off -- i also shut down all other programs but there is still audible static and clicks when i playback -- only on the guitar track.

it sounds perfect before and during recording -- only on playback.

anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

Also -- how do you guys prefer to record guitar? i mean heavy rock or metal guitar using MTS? I was trying to run my guitar into my BOSSME-50 effects unit through a practice amp and then into the PC --- and only using VST effects for compression really.

this way i could here the full on BOSS ME-50 guitar plus effect without any latency problems during recording. but i am having the problem i stated above with noise and clicking on playback.

any better suggestions?

thanks
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi georghi!

Usually, "clicks and pops" indicate too low of a buffer setting in your soundcard - try increasing it and see what happens.

"Buzzing and humming" indicate a grounding or shielding problem with your guitar gear and/or pickups. Do you hear these when you record?

Plain old "noise" can be caused by a gain problem - ie - the signal is too low going into the PC and you have to boost it too much to get a good recording level. You should be using the "line-in" on your soundcard if you are not.

Any of these "noise" problems can be reduced, if not eliminated.

What other tracks are you playing back when you hear this stuff? Also, what are you playing the tracks through? A stereo amp? Headphones?

For my tracking of distorted guitars, I run my boxes into my soundcard and monitor the output of my soundcard through a stereo amp - with speakers or headphones. With the Asio drivers, my latency runs around 5ms - not enough to cause problems.
georghi

Post by georghi »

thanks for the help SAZ.
Usually, "clicks and pops" indicate too low of a buffer setting in your soundcard - try increasing it and see what happens.
how do i change the buffering? i am running windows XP and my sound card is NVIDIA nForce and i recently downloaded the ASIO driver for it to enable Tape Monitoring.
"Buzzing and humming" indicate a grounding or shielding problem with your guitar gear and/or pickups. Do you hear these when you record?
no i don't hear it during recording at all only when playing back my distortion guitar parts --- i record and listen using headphones. All the other tracks, drums, clean guitar, bass, keyboards, effect guitars are fine. but maybe I am using the MIC input on the soundcard instead of the LINE IN -- i will check this.
For my tracking of distorted guitars, I run my boxes into my soundcard and monitor the output of my soundcard through a stereo amp - with speakers or headphones. With the Asio drivers, my latency runs around 5ms - not enough to cause problems.
i checked this and my ASIO latency is as low as it will go 17ms.

thanks again SAZ -- really appreciate your help with this.
Saz

Post by Saz »

how do i change the buffering? i am running windows XP and my sound card is NVIDIA nForce and i recently downloaded the ASIO driver for it to enable Tape Monitoring.
There is usually some sort of control panel applet for a soundcard, where you can adjust buffer settings. With a built-in card, I'm not sure.
no i don't hear it during recording at all only when playing back my distortion guitar parts --- i record and listen using headphones. All the other tracks, drums, clean guitar, bass, keyboards, effect guitars are fine. but maybe I am using the MIC input on the soundcard instead of the LINE IN -- i will check this.
This sounds like input overload or clipping. Yeah - make sure you are using line-in. If you are, try backing off the level on the distorted sound a bit and see if the problem still exists.

Also should note - tracking and checking mixes with headphones is OK, but for mixing, you will get much better results using good speakers.
georghi

Post by georghi »

thanks Saz,

yes -- i have tried all the things you suggested and it certainly seems linked to the sound card. I can only find a diaglogue box which contains options for increasing the hardware acceleration and sample rate conversion quality for audio playback -- i have set these both to maximum. The soundcard i have is NVIDIA nForce and is integrated into the motherboard -- i downloaded the most recent drivers for it from the NVIDIA site and tis allows me to switch tape monitoring on. But i guess a much better sound card would work better -- can you recommend one thats particularly good for audio recording?

it's very strange -- i recorded some heavy guitar riffs earlier today using less distortion on the BOSS ME-50 and it worked fine -- yet when i did a second take with exactly the same setup the popping and static noise started again on the guitar tracks -- so it seems to be inconsistent some how.

could i ask how you have your electric guitars using MTS? do you plug your guitar through and effects unit then into your amp and then into your PC? i know you mentioned it in your earlier reply but i was just hoping for a little more detail if thats ok.

it's just that i know i can record the guitar parts by playing them in 'dry' but without hearing the effect while recording it takes away from the 'feel' during the playing of the guitar parts -- i really need to hear the effect to play the parts properly i guess.

i'd be keen to hear your views -- maybe it is best to record guitar totally dry and then add distortion and delay using VST plugins. I have tried Tubebaby and the trial version of Amplitude [the full version is pretty expensive it seems] and they seem quite good but not as good as the BOSS ME-50 effects unit.

anyway -- thanks again Saz --- been a great help and hopefully anyone else experiencing similar problems may chip in with other solutions too.

cheers

G
Saz

Post by Saz »

But i guess a much better sound card would work better -- can you recommend one thats particularly good for audio recording?
This is what I've been using for 2 years with great results... http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496

It has very good AD/DA converters for the money(I paid $150 discount, 2 years ago) While it doesn't have midi sounds built-in, it does have midi in and outs. For anything I do midi-wise, I use the Sampler in MTS or VSTi plugins anyway.
it's very strange -- i recorded some heavy guitar riffs earlier today using less distortion on the BOSS ME-50 and it worked fine -- yet when i did a second take with exactly the same setup the popping and static noise started again on the guitar tracks -- so it seems to be inconsistent some how.
Intermittent problems drive me crazy too. This still sounds like a buffer problem though. When you were playing back the 1st track and recording the 2nd track, it could have been too much for the CPU to handle.

If you're using WinXP, check here for some good tips on optimizing your system - it might help... http://www.musicxp.net/
could i ask how you have your electric guitars using MTS? do you plug your guitar through and effects unit then into your amp and then into your PC? i know you mentioned it in your earlier reply but i was just hoping for a little more detail if thats ok.
Here's my basic setup... Guitar>Boss Tuner>Boss Compressor>SansAmp TRI-A.C.>Boss Noise Gate>Behringer MX602 Mixer>Audiophile 2496 soundcard input. Souncard output>Kenwood Stereo Amp>Tannoy Reveal Monitors. If I use any VST effects live, I use tape type monitoring. Also, sometimes I'll use headphones for tracking, instead of the Tannoys, when I need a better feel and isolation from room noise.

I try to use as little effects as possible when recording - it gives more latitude when mixing - but I know what you mean about being able to "feel" the parts when you record. It's a juggling act that you can only get better at by doing. :)
georghi

Post by georghi »

thanks Saz,

i will keep playing around with it and when i get a solution thats stable i will post it up here incase anyone else has similar problems.

still hasn't changed my view on MTS -- i think it's a brilliant bit of software!!!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Gee, Sazzy is on the nose on this one, most built in cards are just not up to the task, I also use a M-Audio 24/96 card that i have had for 6 years, and it is rock solid, and i get good clean signal and no hassles.
bobfill

static noise solution for compaq pressario with ESS allegro

Post by bobfill »

i had the static type noise problem. after some experimentation i realized that the problem only occured on the first track recorded for each song.
THE SOLUTION: make a "dummy" track first, then make a second track for the actual recording. i tried it about 8 times and never heard any clicking.
georghi

Post by georghi »

Thanks Bobfill

i will try this and post back with the results

cheers

G