Music Terminologies

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
evon

Music Terminologies

Post by evon »

Saz,

You seem to know a lot, and I on the other hand have no formal training in Sound/Music Recording (yet), where can I visit (online) to get an overview of terms like: Envelope, Attack, etc. you know all the basic characteristics of sound neccessary to be able to do a good digital recording.
Pacifist

Re: Music Terminologies

Post by Pacifist »

evon wrote:Saz,

You seem to know a lot, and I on the other hand have no formal training in Sound/Music Recording (yet), where can I visit (online) to get an overview of terms like: Envelope, Attack, etc. you know all the basic characteristics of sound neccessary to be able to do a good digital recording.
Don't know if I'm welcome to respond to this, as you meant it for Saz's expert attention, but if it helps: envelope and attack relate to the sound source (usually the synth, but sometimes also the recording). I do reggae. To splice time and fit in a lot (especially with sharp skanks) I use a VST that lets me adjust the attack and decay of my recorded signal. The beginning of the sound is tightened up (made louder) and usually the decay (duration) is shortened.

Huh. You live in Jamaica and search the internet for music recording help - I look to Jamaica.
Saz

Post by Saz »

evon - check my reply to katsep here... http://www.multitrackstudio.com/forum/v ... ?p=456#456

for lots more study material, check this out ... http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm :shock:

Pacifist - you're welcome to respond to anything on this forum. :wink: I'm no expert, just started the PC recording route myself over 2 years ago. I've studied a lot and had a lot of help - just trying to give back a little. :)
Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

Thanks Saz. I will be revisiting this forum a lot in the future to learn how to do new things! I've also been producing (playing, recording and "improving" in MTS) for 2 years and it's still as much a new world of possibilities for me today as it was when I started. A great piece of kit. :D
Tempting to keep some secrets when it comes to MTS tips.. Certain VSTs are must-haves I reckon.
evon

Post by evon »

Saz,
You have to be the musical geenie :D :!: :!:
These sites are realy what I need.
And because you don't charge for this service realy makes it more invaluable.
Sometimes I wonder if you are real or some kind of god :!:

Pacifist,

With a name like yours you should do well in the world today, especially in a place like Jamaica :P
Anyway, you are welcome man :!:
I play Original "Rock Steady" music, the earlier version of reggae, and as the name implies is a more "cool & deadly" lovers rock type sound.

Beres Hammond, Delroy Wilson, Heptones type of groove.
Saz

Post by Saz »

evon wrote:Sometimes I wonder if you are real or some kind of god :!:
Just an ordinary joe who has learned the usefulness of Google. You should check out the posts of my friend Mac at audiominds.com forum sometime. He is a true wealth of first-hand knowledge in many areas.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Sazzy is modest, yet he is very good at this stuff and does his homework as well. But really folks he is right about Audiominds.com Old mac and friends really do know there stuff.
evon

Post by evon »

Saz,

I visited audiominds.com, what do you think about nTrack Studio?

What do you think about , for instance, using say Ableton Live to take tracks, and use MTS & nTrack to mix the sound? Because these programs all have their strong points and also thier weak points. It could be a matter of getting the better of both worlds!

Or is there a better way to treat a project?

I tried thr "cowbell" effect and it works well in Reggae music!

I definately will keep checking out audiominds, haven't visited the forum yet but am looking forward to it.
Saz

Post by Saz »

evon wrote:Saz,

I visited audiominds.com, what do you think about nTrack Studio?

What do you think about , for instance, using say Ableton Live to take tracks, and use MTS & nTrack to mix the sound? Because these programs all have their strong points and also thier weak points. It could be a matter of getting the better of both worlds!

Or is there a better way to treat a project?
I tried nTrack Studio, MultitrackStudio and several others(Cubase, Sonar, etc.) at the same time about 2 1/2 years ago. I could not keep nTrack from crashing in spite of many efforts. The other softwares were either not user-friendly or just too expensive. MTS was far and away the best software for what I wanted to do - even not considering price.

nTrack Studio was introduced a few years before MTS and at the time was the only cheaper alternative to the likes of Cubase, Sonar, etc. Some people find it works well for them still, but check out their forum sometime - you'll find many posts about problems. MTS has never given me a problem from day one.

As far as using multiple softwares, I'm of the school of thought that less-is-more. I do use the GoldWave audio editor when I need to do some "surgical" editing, but I find that MTS handles my mixing chores very well. Having said that though, you should try different things and find what works best for you.

Psst - keep this secret - word has it that a new version of MTS is very close. :wink: :D
evon

Post by evon »

Saz,

OK, makes sense. will keep in touch.

I think mts effects are realy powerfull and intense. except for the EQ. That needs improving.

I know about version mts 4.
Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

Evon many thanks for your welcome. I am a pacifist because even though the world seems to have gone mad I won't. I like all styles of reggae except for ragga/80s-90s dancehall. In my music I play all the instruments myself, and make a lot of use of MTS. My style is dub/UK steppers. Us reggae artists should stick together and help each other out, so if you drop me an email at triffidd@rediffmail.com we can talk about sound production and recording and use of MTS (and some of the tools and techniques I developed over trial and error - would be happy to pass on my tips).

Jah Rastafari
evon

Post by evon »

Pacifist,

Iwill do just that.

But let me bowl one at you now: After setting all the Midi Device settings, Sound Card properties etc., I still can't get any output through my speakers when doing Midi recording in MTS. although the sound meters move when I play the keyboard. I use a M-Audio USB interface/sound card with ASIO technology.
I'm wondering if I need some kind of slave program for midi to work properly.
Have you any ideas?

Or probably our good friend Saz might have some.

PS. I use the same set up with Live 3 and I can record quite OK but I never used MTS for Midi recording before.
Saz

Post by Saz »

evon wrote: After setting all the Midi Device settings, Sound Card properties etc., I still can't get any output through my speakers when doing Midi recording in MTS. although the sound meters move when I play the keyboard. I use a M-Audio USB interface/sound card with ASIO technology.
I'm wondering if I need some kind of slave program for midi to work properly.
I use the same set up with Live 3 and I can record quite OK but I never used MTS for Midi recording before.
evon - sounds like a simple routing problem. Try this - click on the "Studio" menu, then click on 'Wizard" and run through the steps to record a midi track. Let us know what happens.
evon

Post by evon »

Saz,

I tried all that, and I am fairly handy with a computer and Wndows OS.
I am wondering if the M-Audio driver is outdated. Visited M-Audio but the driver for this device has not been updated since.
I did not go online with the machine that has the M-Audio interface connected though. I will do that later and see what happens.
But I was just wondering if there is something I might have needed that I did not know about.

Anyway thanks as usual man, I'll let you know what is happening.
Saz

Post by Saz »

evon - I remember reading about an M-Audio USB driver problem a while back on another forum, but the details escape me right now.

The thing is though, if it works with Live 3, it should work with MTS - there should be nothing else required other than the proper routing in MTS.

Yeah - keep us informed - we'll get the problem solved. Midi recording/editing in MTS is worth it.