How does Multitrack Studio compare?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
firefly

How does Multitrack Studio compare?

Post by firefly »

I'm new to this forum, and if this question has been asked before, I apologize for not finding it during the search.

For all you Multitrack Studio users out there, how does this program compare with others out there, like Cubase, Cakewalk (the many versions), Protools, etc...?

Reading the information on the product, I was impressed, but I do not know anyone using this program and so I'm just looking for some feedback.

Thanks for your time...
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi firefly!

It's been a while since I tried Cubase, Cakewalk, etc., so I can't compare their current features to MTS. What I can tell you is when I demo'd those programs along with MTS, I found that MTS produced similar quality recordings at a lot less cost, plus it was very easy to learn/use in comparison. That and the features, the high quality of the built-in effects and the stability make it a winner in my book.

I would suggest you take the same route and try as many demos as you can - only then can you get a true picture of just how good MTS is.

You won't find many(if any) posts here about glitches in MTS. In fact this forum has been accused of not being very active - there's a good reason - us users of MTS are busy making music instead of solving software problems. I believe MTS is a monster sleeper that is beginning to awaken. :wink:
firefly

Post by firefly »

I appreciate your response, Saz.

I've been checking out competing software for several weeks now, and the more I look into things, the more I become overwhelmed. I "stumbled across" MTS by accident, read the description and so forth, and was "amazed" by the apparent simplicity compared to the other software. But to be totally honest, I had never heard of MTS nor, until I ran across this website, had ever run into anyone else who had heard of MTS.

I have a couple of questions regarding MTS that I've not found any information on even by reading the website. If you or anyone else has the time to answer them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Question: in the old days, I had something called a "sequencer" which I could MIDI up to a keyboard, record and crudely "edit." Not being a keyboard player by heart, I really needed that thing. Does MTS have something like a sequencer?

One more question: I could not really find anything about system requirements. Do you have any information on RAM and processor speed? If that information is included in the manuals, I apologize but have not had the time to read that information yet.

Again, thank you for your time.
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi firefly,

MTS has a nice MIDI sequencer - imho. Check here... http://www.multitrackstudio.com/midiedit.php

and here... http://www.multitrackstudio.com/patternedit.php

Check here for system requirements...

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/requirements.php
I've been checking out competing software for several weeks now, and the more I look into things, the more I become overwhelmed. I "stumbled across" MTS by accident, read the description and so forth, and was "amazed" by the apparent simplicity compared to the other software. But to be totally honest, I had never heard of MTS nor, ....., had ever run into anyone else who had heard of MTS.
:) I could have written these lines - same thing happened to me. I thought MTS sounded too good to be true - until I tried it.
firefly

Post by firefly »

Saz, thanks for all your help....
evon

Post by evon »

Firefly,

Saz is right (as always), MTS is a very good program, no hitches.. and it is good on CPU usage, which I have just come to realize the importance of, especially when you need to add effects. And if you are not such a good musician as myself, you will need a lot of effects to help out.

The good thing with MTS is that it has some very powerful basic effects that as I said before does not drain your CPU power.

MTS was the very first studio program I bought (in 2002), and I drifted a while checking out Live but still have a great deal of respect for MTS.
As Saz says MTS (it seems to me) does not appear to be in a rush for market share/popularity but seems set to evolve into a top-of-the -line product....shortly :!:

Since buying MTS they have only just recently released an upgrade, while live releases two possible three upgrades a year. Kind of expensive to keep up with, and not many features are improved per upgrade.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I own Cakewalk, N-Tracks studio, Vegas 4.0 Pro. Acid 3.0 Pro, and Tracktion. I have used them all and i find MTS to be the easiest, and most stable of the bunch, the best feature is the fact that it does all things well, and is very complete. Cakewalk is a tad better in Midi, but not by much, and yet is far behind in softsynth implimetation, MTS just simply works better than any thing i have tried. I hope they do upgrade someday i am hoping for a looping tool to be added at some point, then i won't need Acid Pro so much.

I suggest this to all my friends, Since i use cakewalk from time to time, i participate on their forums and give a lot of support to newbies and sometimes it irks me that so many of their problems would be solved just by buying MTS.
djembejammin

newbie needs help!!

Post by djembejammin »

Hi folks,I have only had a computer for a year, and I am still learning the terminology. I am 43, and very used to recording on a tascam 4 track(casette). I too stumbled on this MTS and actually saved it in my favorites for quite a while till I got my music room cleaned up. What else do I need? I have 160 gig compaq computer, and know how to get MTS. I will be recording guitars, bass, keys, and djembe drums. My lame question is..What do I need to buy to plug the guitars into? some kind of mixer, but is it a special kind for computers? If you could be specific with names that would be a great help and also places I could buy it.(guitar center or best buy?) Anybody live in Southern cal?? Close to Lake Elsinore?? [/list]
djembejammin

Post by djembejammin »

Actually Robomusic you are pretty close to me, about an hour drive. I take djembe lessons at TAm TAm mandingue school in Encinital. It would be cool to have a fellow recording artist close by.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

i have a M-audio sound card, and I could plug into the card directly, but i added a behringer mixer and use that as the interface, it works great.
djembejammin

Post by djembejammin »

do you get that stuff at guitar center or an electronic store??
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I got both at the guitar center, then M-audio card and the bohringer mixer, look for the 802 it is reasonable in price.
djembejammin

Post by djembejammin »

thanks for your help. I am lucky that my former guitar player is manager of pro audio. He gives me stuff at cost or just above(so he says) :mrgreen: