Re-mixing analog tracks

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
firefly

Re-mixing analog tracks

Post by firefly »

I just purchased MTS and am very excited about using the program. One of the things I hope to accomplish is re-mixing tracks recorded on an analogue (tape) based system.

With the analog system I used previously, I generated a "sync tone" with an Alesis drum machine, recorded that "sync tone" to one of the channels, and that would drive the drum machine upon playback.

One problem I have now is that I cannot transfer that sync tone from the tape to MTS, but that is the "coordinating factor" between my other tracks. I other words, my other tracks line up using the drum machine as a reference. My only option, I guess, is recording the drums "live" and then recording each track and "sliding/moving" the tracks into place (can you do that?) so everything is aligned. I had hoped I would not have to re-record any tracks but use the existing ones.

However, I am probably making this much more difficult than it needs to be because I am still learning the many things MTS can do, and an obvious answer is probably staring me in the face.

Any suggestions to this old analog user? Perhaps in the MIDI realm? My drum machine is MIDI capable (apologies to all you real drummers out there).

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Saz

Post by Saz »

I would almost wager that you can do, what you want to do - with midi. Unfortunately, my knowledge of midi is very limited and this is beyond it. OK midi guys - help out here. :)

As far as sliding whole tracks - yes, you can do that. Open the edit window and select the whole track, then hold down on the left mouse button(in the selected area) and move it forward or backwards. You can zoom in to make it easier to align with a point in an adjacent track.
firefly

Post by firefly »

Thanks Saz - I'll try that. Any of you MIDI gurus out there with any ideas?

Thank you
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

One thing you could do is, if there is any dead space at the beginning of the song arm all the tracks and place one click at or near the beginning, then export the waves as individual tracks, and import them into MTS and line up the clicks. that should do it, then highlight the clicks and delete them.