MTS Crash with Windows XP

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
grubsner

MTS Crash with Windows XP

Post by grubsner »

Hi everybody

My MTS just crashes without warning with Win XP Home. The app doesn't want to end in Windows Task Manager. I have to restart the PC.

Using MTS Pro and rather annoying.

Any ideas?

Grubs
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi Grubs!

This is VERY unusual - in fact it's the first time I've heard of it happening in the 3 years that I've been using MTS.

Can you post your system particulars and any audio tweaking you have done?
Mac

Post by Mac »

And please don't forget to tell us which version of MTS you are using when this happens.

Soundcard and drivers are also super-important pieces of info here.

--Mac
grubsner

Post by grubsner »

Hi Everybody

I have been testing with the lite version 3 without any problems. Since purchasing Pro V3 then V4 (haven't yet tried V4.01) I'm having these problems. The fact that the crashes are intermitent makes it very difficult to pinpoint.

Win XP SP1
Using onboard VIA97 Soundcard (also running a USB Mixer interface)
MTS Pro V4.00 currently
M-Audio USB 2x2 MIDI interface
No plugins etc.

The crashes mostly occurs when I'm playing back recorded tracks and using the HOME function to loop back to the front, adn also when starting and stopping playback.

I've also had the crash in mid MIDI recording session.

WHen I disable all the Win tasks (except the critical ones) MTS seems more stable.

No significant tweaks to Windows. Maybe I should go for a clean Win XP install?

Ta!
Grubs
Saz

Post by Saz »

It sounds like a configuration problem. Something worth asking - are you having problems with any other programs (music and non-music)?

A clean XP install won't hurt anything, but I'm not sure you need to do that unless you are having other problems. Maybe just a little tweaking and driver updates will do the trick.

Here's a good site to get a handle on some tweaks for XP and audio... http://www.musicxp.net/
Mac

Post by Mac »

Um, how much ram are ya runnin' on that thang?

(the way XP machines are bein' shipped these days, with like 256 sticks in 'em and XP MEDIA edition on 'em no less, perhaps the proper question should be how LITTLE ram, eh? )

These days with a DAW and XP, 512 should be the bare minimum with 1g the goal at the least IMO.

Not bein' facetious here, well, okay, just a little, but a LOT of my problems cleared up earlier this year when I stuck 2gigs into the DAW.

Sometimes new releases of software are more demanding of resources, too, that's just the nature of the new features game.

So-- how much ram ya runnin'?

(watch him say "4 gigs" and blow my theory right outta the water... grin)

--Mac
Mac

Post by Mac »

PS -- also make sure you aren't using anything called "Microsoft Mapper" and "Microsoft Midi Mapper" as the selected output device in ANY of your audio programs.

I've had that one try to hang on when programs were attempting to close.

Instead, specify your soundcard and your midi device by name.

(Good idea to recheck STart->Control Panel->Sound and make sure the soundcard and midi device are still the default selections, too. for record and playback. these sometimes change when you install different programs, especially those free audio/video players that all try to become the default player for every file and codec in the known universe. windoze media player included. some of 'em even list file types that they cannot play, go figure. )

HTH,

--Mac
firefly

Post by firefly »

I had some of the same problems with XP (crashing, etc...) but found out that I had disabled too many applications with XP when setting it up; I did a clean install (or re-install) of XP, this time disabling nothing, and since MTS has run flawlessly. It is worth a try, and also take a good look at your drivers.

Good luck. MTS is an AWESOME program.
Mac

Post by Mac »

firefly makes a good point -- I think that a lot of the "common" DAW tweak stuff may not apply when using Multitrackstudio. Some may even get in the way of things working right.

Last night was messin' around with one mic and getting to know multitrackstudio a bit better, shakin' it down by pretending to be Bobby McPherson or somethin' like dat and suddenly realized I hadn't booted up using my DAW hardware switchup which deactivates a whole buncha stuff supposedly not needed and will interfere with doin' audio -- network card, bluetooth, wifi, internal mobo soundcard, parallel and serial ports, all deactivated via the device manager like yer supposed to do only this time I forgot. And no noticeable difference from MTS at all. Was into recording track number 17 while monitoring offa the last 16 when it dawned on me what I was doin' there. Impressive. I can quote a whole page fulla DAW softwares that would have let me know with pops 'n clicks, timing problems, some would have even frozen up solid on this machine before getting to that many tracks.

I plan on puttin' this software through every pace it can do and then some.

Would already like to see better Midi Notation on the Staff View, that is archaic, needs cleaned up, ain't a real pianner player on earth who could sight read offa that stuff. Even hard to use for editing unless I'm missing something big somewhere. Too many flags and the rests are all being printed at the highest common denominator. Fix me.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Look out ole' Macies bac... Anyway, i agree on the tweek stuff, i did a few and then changed them back, cause they were not needed.

Mac that is interesting what results you are getting, i am able to hit 24 tracks on many songs and no pops and clicks, many other program would have hiccupped by then, and i do not have to baby the program to get results. I agree as well, that some of the GUI, in regards the editing windows are a little behind the other apps, but it is still just so darned solid. For basic tracking and midi stuff i can not find a better program, i wish for looping tools and a little bit better window views, maybe a different color and background would help to see it better, i do not know.

I do know that i do not want to much change, since i would rather use a couple of other programs to tweek and adjust rather than this one evolve to fast and have N-T style issues.
grubsner

Post by grubsner »

Hi Everybody

Thanks for all the replies!

I tested MTS last night in an effort to get it to crash...I did find MIDI Mapper selected as second MIDI Out. Changed it to my SOundcard maps.

I couldn't get it to crash! Gave priority to background processes but have no specific tweaks for Audio. I have 512 MB of RAM and have not pushed MTS to its limits but have no pops or clicks when recording during track playback. The program is rock solid except for the crashes.

I will perform some more test tonight. I'm in South Africa which means our times zones are rather off!

I'll return with feedback.

Grubs
Mac

Post by Mac »

Good show!

Had a hunch the microsoft mapper was the likely culprit.

That is not an MTS problem at all: the mapper is destined to screw up ANY music software there is. And that includes notation editors.

I haven't found the limits of my trackcount yet, remember, I'm using a laptop with the EMU 1616M for this grand experiment, so far so good.

specs:

HP nx6125 lappy, AMD Turion ML-37 @ 2ghz, 2gig ram, 5400rpm internal HD w/8mb cache, 7200 rpm firewire drive w/16mb cache.

Haven't hooked up the external drive yet with MTS either. But my vocal test got to those 17 tracks without a hitch and then I got tired and put it aside.

Haven't tried any effects on tracks in MTS yet either, nor the sampler or anything else yet. Time. I need more time. And a bigger round tuit.

--Mac
grubsner

Post by grubsner »

I had a long session with MTS last night and it would seem (touch good ol solid wood here..lol) that the MIDI Mapper change and the back ground service selection might have made all the difference.

I really love this program. I'm really new to the scene. I have been playing guitar for close on 10 years (on and off) and have only now realised how important daily practice is to get the skill level sorted.

To the guitar player out there...how often do you guys (and girls) practice? I have a saying...you think you are good until you record and lsiten then you know you need some more practice :shock:

Until later.

Again thanks for the help.

Grubs
Mac

Post by Mac »

Try being a multi-instrumentalist sometime...

Trumpet, Piano AND Guitar.

Practice IS.

Way of life.

My little brother Marshall practices like a fiend and that kind of work pays off. He now sits the first chair of the saxophone section in the famous Count Basie Orchestra. They are in Japan right now, recording a Live Concert for Sony among other things. http://www.marshallmcdonald.com is little bro's webpage.

In my case I laid down the pro music life more than two decades ago to go to work as an Electronics Design Engineer, raise the kids, pay for life, buy the boat, etc. etc. yadda yadda but soon found that music was already imbedded in my soul. Thus started the endless local gig thang which ended up in frustration until I stumbled upon my "night job" as I call it, which is really a part time business endeavor. I make Jingles. And sell 'em. Radio, TV, whatever.

When I first started doing that, analog tape was still the thing. Switched completely over to PCM digital in fall of 98, although had been doing it before then it wasn't until the sale of the big 2" tape deck that Mac and then PC recording became the way of life.

Practice is a good thing, practice with purpose and direction is a better thing.

Beware of practicing something wrong, for that can become a very hard thing to break later. Technique, hand positions, embouchure for the horn players, breathing properly for horn players and singers, all that jazz is what I'm talking about.

And for guitar players, work a little bit every day on reading the staff. Tab is good, but it cannot impart that which the staff can the very first time through. Start with single note sight reading. Clarinet studies books played on the guitar every day is what put the late Tommy Tedesco out in front of the rest of the pack. Sure it starts slow, what doesn't. Speed comes from a thorough intimate knowledge with slow. And once you learn something on your instrument, you own it for life. What a good deal that is, eh?

What a long strange trip it's been.

--Mac