A beautiful thing to behold...

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I haven't even thought about SIR since I found the Convoluter.

One of these days I'd like to see if I can convert some of the good SIR impulses to run in the Convoluter, though.

If you can at all afford it, go for the full $119 package and be done with it.

This is a very good deal, man.

Want to look at my stack of invoices spent on other recording softwares over the years?

What do I like most?

Everything works as advertised.

I've spent five to ten times that amount on recording software and haven't been able to say that before. If you just want to show off whatcha got, I can offer you a great deal on ProFools and a digi001, man. (grin) To be fair, ProFools always worked, on the Mac, but the original price and the upgrades plus the proprietary hardware gets real old real fast, man. How about a recent copy of Simpletude? NewWindow? Cakecrumbs/Slonar? Cuball? n-trubbles? you get the picture. They all work, but they all also can turn a session into a headbanger in a flash. Features are nice, but not at the expense of gettin' the stuff in the can.

Easy to use, easy to understand, has all the good stuff in it already, matter of fact when I first looked at the opening screen I felt like something was wrong because of all the menus, toolbars, selections, help balloons and such typical of all them other softwares that cost more.

hey, it really CAN happen.

YMMV but I'm a happy camper.

I've got exactly TWO complaints right now, I use staff view a lot when I work with editing Midi files, preferring to record them from keyboard or midi guitar in the realtime anyway, but I'd like to see CLEAN NOTATION in MTS instead of all those highest-common-denominator rests and such. But I can live with that, if necessary I'll export to Sibelius and do the work there and bring it back. Or maybe I'll finally work with the pianoroll. (fat chance, send me a man who READS. Music, that is. )

The other complaint may be something I don't know how to change, but my eyes don't see the dark green of the editor against that black background very well, if anybody can tell me how to change those colors so an old nearsighted Vietnam era vet can see 'em, wow.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Mac i am with you on the colors, but i do not know what i would perfer, as far as the convolutor, I have SIR as well, and it did not work as well as the convolutor, I just went to a web site and downloaded about thirty impulses and i got what i need, between the classics, and the gran comp and the included effects, i have no needs right now, the one that come with the program are not bad at all, I just need to learn to work with them, they are not like other effects, in that they do not work from presets, and that is very good since many presets need tweeking.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

If I can learn to operate MTS in the short amount of time it took me, believe me anybody can. The help file in MTS is set out clear and understandable. And with this forum, there's a great bunch of poeple who are not afraid and willing to give out helping hand. I don't think you'll find any other software as easy as this one to operate and as solid. You won't be waisting your time trying to learn how it work, you'll be recording and having fun like the rest of us who own MTS. :D As far as the amount of tracks, I've got a couple songs with up to 21 wave tracks and no problem to handle. I can only afford this one computer and its also loaded with video software. One thing that I did is add external hard drives for each my music and video files to ease the computer's hard drive. Saturday I got together with four other guys and we recorded an instrumental which I will be shooting a video on next week. Five tracks at once live and a total of 19 tracks including alternate takes. Unless you plan on recording an orcestra I'm sure this will do the trick for you.:lol:
Mac

Post by Mac »

Robo, you should know by now after my preaching the basic concepts of this game over on Audiominds and the Audiominds Forum what I think of presets.

The only presets I like are the ones I have created and I hardly ever use an "old" preset on a new project.

That is what your ears, the grey matter between them and the controls on each preset are for.

I generally save a preset until the project at hand is done.

Don't be afraid to get in there and tweak and twiddle, man, you will soon learn all you need to know and more. Matter of fact, that is what separates the seasoned pro recording engineer from everybody else.

Throw the crutch down and WALK, brother!

If we need to, we'll lay hands on ya first. :D

BTW I'm finding the MTS effects to be World Class. Good solid principles behind them, good solid sound to them. The Mastering situation is dead on correct. If you follow the directions you should obtain results equivalent to what a knowledgeable Mastering Engineer can give you. And it is rather simple to use correctly. That is a good tool, one that does a complex job in as simple fashion as possible.

SIR is free, and I always had huge CPU usage with it. Even the Impulse Response plugin in Sony Soundforge didn't use CPU like that. You get what you pay for?

--Mac