Loop back to headphone while recording - Help Appreciated

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
thalweg

Loop back to headphone while recording - Help Appreciated

Post by thalweg »

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to get the live miked sound looped back through my headset while recording.

I can hear the pre-recorded tracks but end up having to put the headset on partially, (one ear) so I can at least hear my live sound. Electric guitars obviously are a worse predicament for me and its driving me absolutely batty.

I'm using a digigram Pocket FX440 pcmcia sound card with ASIO drivers for multitrack studio.

Can anyone give me a sense what they use for their recording loopback setup?

Much appreciated and thanks in advance...

Thalweg
Mac

Post by Mac »

hi thalweg,

Not familiar with your sound device, but the answer usually lies in the software recording mixers associated with the device. Often the Windows mixer applet.

The PLAYBACK mixer and the RECORDING mixer are two different animals, BTW, this often slays the uninitiated.

Anyway, if you set up your playback mixer to select both WAV playback and Line In, you should be able to monitor both the tracks through the wav and what you are playing/singing through the Line In selection. This can be good because there is a volume fader there that allows you to set the levels of each rather easily.

Some prosumer sound devices feature a no-latency monitoring function in them somewhere, too (M-Audio Delta series, EMU, etc. ) This one can be used, too.

Finally, with ASIO drivers that allow for multiple selected outputs inside your sequencing software, you can route outputs to different stereo busses if your device supports separate physical line outputs and run two of those "back to the board" or through a separate headphone amplifier and gain control over things that way, too. Gets a little complicated, but is a very good solution if you device can support it.

HTH,

--Mac
André Giroux

Loop headphones

Post by André Giroux »

I line out from PC stereo headphone jack to a 6 channel stereo headphone amplifier. I'm not sure if there's any other way but this was the only way I could figure out to get a good mix for recording. I also added an EQ and univerb. It sure does the trick.
thalweg

Post by thalweg »

Thanks Mac Andre'

I'm going to give those suggestions a try. Everything else works fine...

So I don't think its a glitch rather a config setting

Cheers and much appreciated

Thalweg