Trying out Lite version - can you stop plugins minimising??

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
RichLum

Trying out Lite version - can you stop plugins minimising??

Post by RichLum »

Hi all,

I'm just trying out the lite version and everytime I bring up a plugin GUI it disappears when I hit play...
If I then bring it up again, it will disappear if I hit stop, rewind or just select the main MTS window.

I would prefer to be able to leave the plugin GUI active on my second monitor so I can make adjustments whilst playing a section back over and over.

It's quite annoying for it to keep disappearing... Is there some setting to stop this happening?

Thanks,
Rich
Mac

Post by Mac »

I'm hesitant to answer this one, last time I answered with an rtfm with Richlum I got cussed at and cussed out for months by some idiot.

But this one is an rtfm and it only took several seconds to find:
Adding or removing effects can be done while the Transport is running. You can use the keyboard to control the Transport without hiding the effect's user interface. In particular ALT-Left Cursor will be useful when setting up effects.

HTH,

--Mac
Saz

Post by Saz »

Yep - learning keyboard shortcuts (as with any software) will bring a lot of joy.

:wink:
RichLum

Post by RichLum »

Thanks Mac.

But I'd still ike to be able to leave the plugin GUI up whilst accessing the main MTS window
Something I do all the time when programming drums is have the Jamstix GUI open on one monitor and then the song timeline open on the other and as I program the drums I draw effect parameter automation on the timeline to tweak the drums.

this requires going back and forth between the plugin GUI and the timeline.

Leaving the plugin GUI up sholdn't be that hard...
I realise that it can lead to a cluttered desktop but it should be your own responsibility to shut down windows you don't need.

Another example of when I wanted to leave the plugin GUI's up occured when I was trying to choose a short and a long reverb and normally I would put 2 instances of SIR into separate AUX's and then have both up and swap and change reverbs in each one to see what they sound like together.

Just seems to be a bit of a pain to have the plugin windows disappearing all the time...

MTS does seem pretty stable/robust though...

Can jumpt around and start and stop and it doesn't seem to stutter or miss a beat which N can tend to do sometimes...
Seems like you don't need to be as gentle with at as with N...

Rich
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Rich to answer your question, what i do is to open the plug after i start the transport, then make all the changes i want and see what i want and it stays open for me.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Not sure what about this Richlum is missing, but I can leave a plugin open, move it to another screen, etc. by using the keyboard commands to start and stop the transport.

It is the mouseclick on the mainscreen that puts the mainscreen to the forefront.

If you really want to use it, you will, I guess.

--Mac
RichLum

Post by RichLum »

Mac wrote:
It is the mouseclick on the mainscreen that puts the mainscreen to the forefront.
Exactly!

So if I have 2 different VST effects (on separate tracks or AUX's or whatever) is it possible to open one plugin GUI and then open the other without closing the first one?

Also, is it possible to edit the automation evolutions without closing the plugin GUI? Either with or without the song playing.

It's no just starting and stopping the song that I would like to do whilst the plugin GUI is left open.

Thanks,
Rich
Mac

Post by Mac »

Have you emailed Geils at support and asked him?

If there is already a way to do what you want, I'm sure he'll tell you how, and from what I understand you may be able to get what you want even if it can't be done right now.

Worth the shot and it is what I'd be doing if it was this important to me.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I know what Richlum means, but i feel it is a trade off, some programs allow you to open a plug and slide it to the side, sometimes i find myself constantly moving them around, I like the program to autohide them i can just click again and there it is.

This falls under the what one feels comfortable with.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I'd like to see a situation where the user could choose which way they want this to work.

VSTi's and some of the newer programs like BFD, GPO, Sytrus, well it makes sense to be able keep the huge amount of information they offer open while working.

Those of us who use two or more monitors in this fashion actually NEED to be able to do that in order to get work done.

--Mac
Mac

Post by Mac »

Sent an email to mah main man about this.

Let us pray,

--Mac
RichLum

Post by RichLum »

I emailed Giel and he said that currently it isn't possible to stop the plugin GUI disappearing.

I would really like to be able to keep a plugin GUI open (sometimes 2 or 3 plugin GUIs).
Especially when MTS basically only fills up 1 monitor worth of real estate, at the moment I have another monitor that is just empty and not really put to full use....

I've had a bit of a play with the MTS demo and it seems ok, but for mixing and using plugins I'm not convinced that i offers anything more than n-Track, except for the proprietary effects...

from the screen shot the effect automation looks like it may be a bit more "user friendly" and less constrictive than n-track, but when weighed up against the fact that the GUI keep disappearing it it is much of a muchness...

I honestly don't see how anyone that works with VSTi's could work with them disappearing all the time and having to re-open them each time you want to view/access them...

I haven't upgraded from v4.05 of n-Track as the more recent builds seem rather buggy (and more CPU hungry for the same project files) on my system, so I am open to switching to MTS if it can be a viable replacement for my multitracker of choice... at the moment it is not quite there...

v4.05 of n_Track is still keeping me there until something that can do all it can do and more (or better/more efficient) comes along

I will try and continue to try out MTS if as pdates are released as it does look like a good app and just the basic functions seem to be very very stable and solid.

Rich.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Geils sent me an email on the same subject, too, in it he said that the current GUI is all set up to make those windows disappear, but he also said he would move the issue up the priority list.

I hope he can accomplish this one, it is rather critical in today's proliferation of the VSTi's and such.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Bear in mind that once you start the transport, you can re-open the VSTi and it will stay open and allow you to change settings or fonts or what ever, on the fly as you work.

Plus as far as what it offers in regards to N-Tracks the number one feature that caused me to swithch was it offers "STABILITY" I still have difficulties with N and never no what will take place.