changing from Ntrack - can the sng files be imported

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Bax3

changing from Ntrack - can the sng files be imported

Post by Bax3 »

The wav files fo my songs are in seperate directories for the most part. However, getting them open and saved as a project will be an issue in MTS.
Probably not possible, but I would like to import the way I have files setup and "Gathered" into MTS. Anyone figured a way to do this?
Thanks,
bax
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

If you have a song in separate wave files it is no problem to import them into MTS just open up the desired amount of audio tracks and import one at a time and then save as a new song it will be done.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Often a lot easier to change software platforms on an existing project by opening the project in the sequencer in which it was done (ntrack) and then selecting each wav track and choose "export" as a single wav track. Save in the same new folder and name accordingly.

Then open the new sequencer (MTS) and begin importing the tracks one at a time to a new track.

Make sure you highlight the ENTIRE track in each case, from beginning of song to end of track, so that things will line up without troubles in the new sequencer.

You can also export Midi tracks as .MID file and do the same with them if you haven't converted them to audio yet and continue working with the project in the new sequencer, save it as the new sequencer's file saving dance.

I have to do things like that quite a bit when working in collaboration with other recordists who use different softwares. Guys with Macs send me tracks in "AIFF" format, the Macintosh equivalent of PC based ".wav" suffix, I use an audio editor to convert them to .wav first and then import them in the program I'm using for the project. Protools to n-track to Powertracks to Sonar to Garageband to Nuendo to MTS should only take a bit of time for doing it in this fashion. Sometimes I will do that to an inhouse project simply because certain tasks are performed better or easier by one software than another. "Hey, if I could use that one feature that proggie xxxx does on here, that would be icing on the cake for this one..." and off we go.

Good idea not to export with any realtime effects applied, although if a certain effect is part and parcel to the sound you need on that track then apply the effect destructively in the first sequencer before exporting the track. I generally will export TWO of those kind of tracks, one with my goodie on it a second one "Dry" just in case, for much can change before the final mixdown happens, leaves the options open as it were.

Bottom line is the .MID and .wav (AIFF, both are "just" PCM audio) can be exported and imported by any and all of 'em.

--Mac
Support

Post by Support »

Just a nice trick: select all the audio and MIDI files in the Windows Explorer. Then drag the whole bunch and drop it on the MultitrackStudio window. All files will end up in separate tracks automatically :D
Saz

Post by Saz »

Support wrote:Just a nice trick: select all the audio and MIDI files in the Windows Explorer. Then drag the whole bunch and drop it on the MultitrackStudio window. All files will end up in separate tracks automatically :D
Now that is sweet! :wink:
Mac

Post by Mac »

WOW!

Now I like THAT! :shock:

Don't recall seeing that in the user manual?

--Mac
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

Hi guys..

There is a small problem with "export" that I discovered on 4.01 a week ago - just for information.

I exported some 24bit ".lst" audio files as .wav to re-import (trying to tidy things up). What I find is this: If you let your .lst file peak out (hit the red end stops) when you export it to wav it rolls over. By this I mean that positive clipped peaks are rolled over to become negative peaks. The result is loud and nasty!

The fix is never peak your audio tracks - now we wouldn't do that, would we :-)

Its a small maths error, I have mentioned this to service and they are aware..

Regards
Pete
Mac

Post by Mac »

I don't go for peak until the final mastering of the stereo mixdown, just an old habit from the daze of the 16 bit engines, I guess, but one that still serves me well along the lines of audio purity and such.

If I need it louder before that phase, I use the big knob on the monitor amp -- temporarily.

--Mac