Got quite in here all of a sudden

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

Got quite in here all of a sudden

Post by Robomusic »

most folks must be off makin' moosack for a change. I have one question for the masses, sometimes when i an recording i find that the signal from the mike input seems to lower the music signal i am monitoring.

In other word when i sing into the mike, the backing track or existing tracks seem to lower in volume, in general it seems to only happen on rare occassions, and only once did ot seem to end up lower during the vocals. kind like "ducking" but only partiall.

Last night it was doing this and yet when i was done it seemed that the signals were fine , kinda wierd you know!?!

Oh my set up is a behringer mixer attached toa m-audio 24/96 card, line out from the mixer to tape in on the berry, main out on the berry to line in on the mixer depress the to the mix button. side note i can un depress the to the mix button and depress the to the control room button, but i then have no mike signal in the headphones, just the mix
Mac

Post by Mac »

I would first try any other recording program at my disposal, see if it happened there in an effort to try to isolate the cause of the problem for if it happens in another proggie it is likely a driver, soundcard or setup issue.

That said, take a look at the graphic wav views after recording, measure the amplitude and see if it is where it should be, another isolation attempt. Could be that the output is lowering but the input is fine, or vice verse.

What soundcard?

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

m-audio 24/96 card
Mac

Post by Mac »

Check it out using any other software that records a track and plays back a monitored track first.

If it does the same thing in another software, suspect the card, especially the drivers. M-Audio 24/96 is one of the few that returned an earlier driver to their downloadable driver list because some people were having troubles with the latest and greatest one. But those troubles weren't of the type you are reporting.

Are you using the M-Audio Monitor? (selectable through the Delta Control Panel, a "direct shot" hardware monitoring system)

What is amplifying the heaphone feed?

Reason I'm asking that last one is I remember a problem where a fellow reported that the monitoring was acting like a ducking chain and it turned out to be the problem was the headphones he was trying to use were rated at 8 ohms impedence, too low for the soundcard's outputs to drive without "starving" the power supply on the peaks...

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Thanks i will look at those issue, i did check and it does not do it with cakewalk or N-T, I also did a test run nd even thought it lowers the volume on the existing tracks it does not effect the outcome at all. So that leads me to beleive that it is happening after MTS
Mac

Post by Mac »

Good move, sounds isolated to MTS and your soundcard, then.

Still could be a soundcard driver issue, don't rule that out, for different softwares do different dances with different drivers.

Again, are you using the M-Audio Delta Control Panel zero latency monitoring function? That might make a diff.

I put my last 24/96 card into the dedicated HDTV PC build, which is really an older DAW I used to use, Thunderbird 1.1g moved up to XP. So I am loathe to do the stuff necessary to check it out at this end. I did have to rollback to the earlier drivers for the card, though, the latest ones were pop and click all the way. But there is no DAW software on the machine now, its only function is to drive a ceiling mounted projecter and the audio card, heh. Also installed an HDTV tuner card in the thing and done. HUGE video, 108" wide on a pulldown screen that covers the entire wall of a big room. (grin) Kludged together me own 5.1 out of stereo speakers, stereo receivers and a homebrew subwoofer, can peal paint off the walls if yer inclined. Yes, the wifey is now positive I've gone nutz. Pass the popcorn.

Keep trying things inside MTS, change one thing at a time, if it brings no joy be sure to change it back before going on to the next thing, that's my gameplan with things like this until I've crossed everything off twice anyway.

Good Luck,

And HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Saz

Post by Saz »

FWIW - I'm using driver version 5.10.00.0027 and haven't noticed any problems like you describe, but I'm running the output of the 2496 to a stereo amp for monitoring(speakers or headphones).

Best wishes on solving the problem and Happy Thanksgiving!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Zero latency? what that function be? I can't find it.

Saz what seting do you use on the 24/96 I.E. input output? i use wave in and mon mixer out i think and lock the rate at 41,400 for now
Mac

Post by Mac »

Robomusic wrote:Zero latency? what that function be? I can't find it.

Saz what seting do you use on the 24/96 I.E. input output? i use wave in and mon mixer out i think and lock the rate at 41,400 for now
Now would be a good time to dig up the little manual that came with the 24/96 and read it cover to cover...

You have a great feature and don't know what it is or why it is there from what you've posted here anyway.

The Hardware Mixer is hiding inside the Delta stuff, it is controlled via the Delta Control Panel but is not a software situation, when the cards were first introduced the zero latency monitoring of the "mon mixer" was a big thang.

--Mac
Saz

Post by Saz »

Robomusic wrote:Saz what seting do you use on the 24/96 I.E. input output? i use wave in and mon mixer out i think and lock the rate at 41,400 for now
I had been using that same setup all along, Robo - but, I recently got a VST program called Chainer (a plugin mixer of sorts) and have been trying a different configuration with it and MTS.

Mac is right about the Delta manual though - I need to go back and re-read it myself. It can get confusing.

Mac

Post by Mac »

If you think the Delta manual is confusing, stay away from the new EMU cards. :lol:
Saz

Post by Saz »

Mac wrote:If you think the Delta manual is confusing, stay away from the new EMU cards. :lol:
Yeah - seems I've heard that before. :lol:
fingersonly

Post by fingersonly »

Yo Mac!
But would you say dealing with any confusion and figuring it out is worth it with the emu cards (the M ones?)

Just about to pull the trigger on one
Mac

Post by Mac »

fingersonly wrote:Yo Mac!
But would you say dealing with any confusion and figuring it out is worth it with the emu cards (the M ones?)

Just about to pull the trigger on one

I love the audio I'm getting from this card.

the converters are what it is really about.

get it and enjoy,

--Mac