slowly losing my mind ...

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

slowly losing my mind ...

Post by Robomusic »

I have tried everything i can think of read and re-read the manuals, and pondered over Delta panel and and lost at the moment. I know that this work before but can not figure it out right now, any way enough rattling, I have the delta 24/96 card and if I set the patch bay router to mon mixer it lowers the volume of the existing tracks when i sing over them, and when i set it to wave out 1/2 the volume is fine but i can not hear the vocals in the headphones. I should mention that i monitor thru a behringer 602 mixer line out from the car goes to tape in on the mixer, main out on the mixer goes to line in on the card. in mon mixer i depress the to the mix button, in wave out i depress the to control room button.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Try turning the wav output fader on the Delta Control Panel down, then turn things up at the mixer...

If you can't get enough volume from the mixer input you are using, try one or two of the channel line input strips instead.

I don't use the Audiophile anymore, but when I did the headphone output of the mixer, if I used one, went to an AUX input on a stereo integrated amp, the same one that normally powers my monitors, then I'd plug my tracking cans into the headphone jack on that big amp, could use its power to raise and lower my can volumes to just about any level of pain needed, plus could use the tone controls sometimes, too.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Mac, I tried adjusting the volume levels and it seems to be working properly now, the vocal input is not "ducking" the existing tracks., that is wierd, for sure, I can not figure out why it does that, maybe just a oddity of the delta setup.but if I keep the level of the vocal track or incoming track lower it seems to be fien now. Thanks for the input.
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

Hmm - what you describe is weird. I use two delta44s and I have set my delta control panel to give the wav outputs directly to the line sockets of the sound card - that way I am not using the delta mixer at all.

This shouldn't really be an issue though.. I get round the live monitoring thing by using an external mixer - but I figure the M-audio stuff is able to give you
direct (zero latency) monitoring using its own mixer, so what you are doing should be the right thing.

What I don't get is the "ducking" effect. If a loud vocal passage really does duck the rest of the tracks, and then they come back up after the vocals go quiet, then you are getting something that the M-audio mixer can't do on its own :-)

Is there a compressor or limiter somewhere in this setup???

See ya
P
Mac

Post by Mac »

A weak or borderline power supply can act exactly like a compressor in certain cases.

If you have two outputs being driven hard and not quite enough power available, one output can "rob" the other...

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I am using the term ducking just as a illustration, what is happening is that the vocal track causes the existing mix to lower in volume then when the vocal stops it slowly comes back up.

It seems after a bit of tweaking of the levels both in the delta mixer and on the exterior behringer mixer that it has stopped, and is working correctly. I still have less vocal volume in the headphones, but can hear myself to sing, someone else suggested going back tot he wave out setup, where there is not monitoring of the vocals in the headphones and drop one side and monitor live, but i don't want to do that if at all possible.

The problem seems to be intermittent, where it only does it sometimes, this leads me to beleive that the vocal track input signal is somehow over powering the mixed tracks, and causing it to fade. Most likely a waekness in the signal chain somewhere.
Saz

Post by Saz »

I've been giving this thought and haven't been able to come up with anything solid, but I think Mac may be on to something with the power supply.

Also, the good old "unplug and replug" all connectors couldn't hurt. Cables and connectors have had a way of causing similar problems for me in the past.