Wish list for the next release

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
uncle808us

Re: Wish list for the next release

Post by uncle808us »

iLove80's wrote:Markers types during Playback
Could the loop parameters be saved in the .hdr file for the song?
:D
Yes Please this would save so much time.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Would like to have the popup enlarged level meter to stay open while ajusting fader for that track :D
scot ansgeulaiche

Post by scot ansgeulaiche »

Geil, wonderful work with MTS. I have been using it for about 5 years on Mac.

Feature requests (and PLEASE forgive me if I have missed that these things are already available. I HAVE looked for them in manual and forum).

1. Bump: more choice of colours on the track title.
2. Bump: a longer track title window for names (or perhaps remove the "mono audio (.aem)" line and allow that to be used for additional user entered characters. The "mono.." could appear in the drop-down.
3. The ability to edit the automation of volume, pan etc simultaneously for multiple tracks, probably via the "Multitrack editor" window.
4. A simple "duplicate track" function that copies both the sound file and the mixer's settings to a new track. I sometimes want to keep the original and then have a second track that I then edit.
5. Bump: the ability to group Tracks in the mixer (not just in their output sections) so that say tracks 1-5 are the first part of the song or the whole rhythm section and I can collapse ALL of them in one click, then expand tracks 6-10 which are the second part of the song. If tracks were able to be grouped, also having a Mute/Solo button for that whole group without needing to actually send their outputs to the group routing would be nice. I COULD use output-grouping for this, but the way I work with tracks would mean that I would need to be constantly changing a track's grouping.
6. Bump: that the Editor Grid is dividable into 3 (triplets). I have to create a second click track and quantize it to triplets so that I have a visual triplet grid in the editor to align/edit other tracks against.
7. Clip Shelf: is it possible to have a little play/preview button against each clip because I soon forget what each one is, even with creative naming. And the names have to be kept short because the clip shelf takes up space much needed for the mixer and I only have one monitor. Could the clip shelf be movable so that it could sit horizontally at the bottom of the screen?
8. Would it be possible to save the Clip Shelf to the song, so that each song could have its own clip shelf?
9. Section Markers. I use Markers a lot, but I soon run out of space on the Overview Bar in a long piece. Could we have it that a user can make 'sections' on the Bar and that they be coloured, which would save needing to add a label for beginning and end, AND / OR could there be a zoom feature for the Overview Bar, perhaps responding to the zoom + - that is already a feature, so that I can just focus on one part of the song for a while.
10. Bump: A record button, one that automatically re-arms the last track or tracks that were in record mode and starts the transport.

By the way, there are so many features that I have wanted to have over the years, only to find that when I check, they are already there, perhaps because of recent updates. I'm really impressed with your dedication to ongoing development. Plugin Manager was a Godsend!

As before, I am happy to keep making donations as you keep adding features. Great software!
Scot
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks for the ideas.

5. You can right click the small 'collapse' buttons in the top-right corners and choose from options like 'collapse same color tracks'. Perhaps this helps.

6. This was added in the 9.3 release: https://www.multitrackstudio.com/version93.php (item #3).

Giel Bremmers
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

2. Bump: a longer track title window for names. :( :( :(
severak

Post by severak »

One simple wish: built-in MIDI velocity normaliser.

I have some no-name chinese USB MIDI controller which has poorly implemented MIDI sensitivity. It's either too high or too low at random. :?

I use "ignore MIDI velocity" settings or VeloScaler VST plugin. This works great but it will be easier and faster* if similar plugin will be built-in.

* faster as in "it takes some minute to scan my large VST collection"
MisplacedDevelopment

Post by MisplacedDevelopment »

I'm currently reviewing whether to purchase the desktop version of MTS to be able to work on projects easily between iPad and an M1 macOS desktop.

One roadblock I have hit is that a few synths which I have on both desktop and iPad are not recognised as being the same when the project is ported over in either direction. For example, if I load the synth "mood" into a project on iOS and then export it and import it to desktop MTS then I am told that the mood audio instrument cannot be found, even if I have installed mood on the desktop and it appears in the plugin list with the same name. I have to manually load the synth and find the preset used, which will not scale for larger projects. I guess these plugins are internally identifying themselves differently between platforms. A couple of other examples I have found are Syntronik and DRC.

Sunrizer/Model 15/Mela 2/Addstation load their state perfectly in either direction. OB-Xd is an odd one in that the plugin is correctly identified but the state does not restore.

If there were an option to allow the user to select the correct synth (maybe at the same time creating a configurable mapping) or try and automatically load a synth with the same name then that would be useful. If the AU state was also able to be restored then even better.

This behaviour is not unique to MTS. The same thing happens between GarageBand and Logic, it would just be useful if the DAW were able to offer some ability to configure a mapping of plugins between platforms.

Thanks.
Support

Post by Support »

Plugins have a unique ID. That's how a host identifies it. If a plugins developer uses different IDs for their Mac and iPad plugins they're not the same plugin, even if the name is the same. They may do that on purpose: if one version can't read the other version's saved state the plugin will probably crash if the host passes the saved state to the plugin.

It's very unfortunate that many AUs use different IDs for the Mac and iPad versions. Perhaps you should tell the plugin developers you want your projects to move between Mac and iPad. But it's probably not trivial for them to change this: if they'd simple change the iPad ID to match the Mac ID all existing iPad host projects would not longer find the plugin.

That said, a host could look for a plugin with the same name and pick one of its built-in presets with the same name. But that would just get you the factory preset, all your tweaks would be lost. I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

Thanks for the reply Giel. I agree that this as a plugin developer issue since some of them do work. Model 15 is an example of a good implementation since the version that is specifically for the Mac plays nicely with the iOS version. It is a shame that Apple are not advising plugin developers to keep the IDs the same unless there is a good reason not to, especially with the move towards closer integration between the platforms.
MisplacedDevelopment

Based on the experiences found in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2996 there are a couple of quality of life suggestions, though admittedly they are pretty niche:

1. Have a "OK for all" type button or checkbox in the dialog that is presented when a plugin cannot be loaded. In the above workflow it is expected that plugins will not be found. You get one alert per plugin which means you could have quite a number of these alerts to click through for a large project. Edit: iOS MTS does not display these alerts and just loads the project with appropriate MISS entries in the place of unknown plugins.

2. Allow a plugin to be disabled/hidden as an option in the plugin manager. I tried unchecking the instrument/effect category boxes which made it disappear from the instrument selector but the plugin was still found when a project was loaded that used it. This again supports part of the workflow mentioned in the linked thread. At the moment I am moving the AU so MTS can't find it but it would be more convenient to be able to have a check box to stop it from being found and so be treated as a "MISS". The downside to moving the plugin out of the AU plugin folder means that Logic also cannot find it.

Cheers.
Support

Post by Support »

This crossplatform plugin thing is on my radar.

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

(Applies to iPad and desktop versions)
I have written a number of complete pieces of music now using only the MTS score view as this is where I am most productive. One thing I struggle with is being able to try different ideas out without having to copy music around. For example, if i have 4 bars of music written that follows some other section and I want to play around with those 4 bars and still preserve what is already there then I currently use a few different strategies, 2-4 mainly:

1) Create a new version of the project and use this to test ideas with
2) Copy the final n bars of the section to the end of the piece (as I need to hear the music leading up to the part I am writing) and play with it there
3) Create some markers and tap these manually as the song plays to try different sections together.
4) Export all of the MIDI to a different sequencer and arrange it there

I would be interested to hear other ways that people have come up with for tackling this workflow.

What would be useful to have would be an arrangement mode which would be a simple interface that allowed you to add the markers you have already defined in whatever order you wanted, plus some user-selected duration to play (in beats/bars/seconds/bars-to-next-marker/whatever). In this mode then pressing play or rendering the song would do so using this arrangement rather than the main piano-roll. In its simplest form it would just be a couple of columns, like this:

Marker 1 | 2 bars
Marker 3 | 2 bars
Marker 4 | 16 beats
Marker 3 | 1 bar

I was going to say you could add patterns to this as well as markers but you would need multi-track patterns (another request!) for that to work.

When you press play then the piano-roll would jump to the currently playing marker from this list rather than moving sequentially through the music.

With this mode then I would be easily be able to try different combinations of music simply by changing which markers are in the list, or the order in which they appear. It would also make it easier to arrange a song with repeating sections without needing to use patterns, which I struggle with when I have to create them for multiple tracks. An advanced version of this could have one arrangement window per track.

Thanks for listening.
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks for the suggestion.

You should recognize at least two of your earlier suggestions in the next release :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

Cool 8) . I look forward to the next release, as always!
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

sinbad wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:03 pm If you press "shift" and Song at the same time , "Save as" appears in the menu.
That doesn't save all the files only the name then you have to move the files Right?