Saving question

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

Saving question

Post by Robomusic »

I am trying to archive some songs files, and the problem i keep running into is that when i try to burn them to a CD they all seem to be a tad bigger than the CD will hold, when they include the edits, and midi and synths and stuff, if the only way to do this right to go get a DVD burner and burn them there?
Mac

Post by Mac »

DVD burner is an excellent way to archive huge files like that, as is using removable hard drives, my favorite. With removable hard drives I just copy everything as-is, often copying the version of the program's install file and all plugins used along with the project, label the thing with indelible laundry marker right on its case and put 'em on the shelf. Return to a project is as simple as hooking the drive back up to the rack insert.

But DVD can do the job for you very well indeed.

Good idea to spend a bit more and get a Dual Layer DVD burner, well worth the small amount of more money for the doubled space on the disk IMO.

When I archive to CD or DVD media, I always make at least two identical copies and store them in separate locations. A few disks take up little space in the desk or file cabinet at the day job and affords extra protection against loss due to fire, flood, moving, whatever.

HTH,

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I think the DVD route sounds good to me, I can swing that It is funny how big a file gets with the edits and the different parts in it, some are just over a gig, It is nice to be able to burn them and get them off the hard drive. I tried saving the song file to a new folder, and then burning that to a Cd, it opens and plays then I removed the original and guess what, it would not play, fortunately for me it was still in the recycle bin
Mac

Post by Mac »

When re-importing any file from a CD or a DVD, it will be copied to your hard drive as "Read Only". This is because the CD is Read Only.

The way to be able to access that file or group of files again is simple enough:

Highlight the icon for the file and Rightclick on it, choose Properties.

From there, unselect Read Only and select Archive. (On an XP system it is likely that all you will have to do is uncheck Read Only)

When you have a folder with several or many files copied over from CD or DVD archival, open the new folder on hard disk that contains all the files, do a "Select All" from File menu to highlight all of the files in the folder at once and do the same Rightclick dance as above to instantly convert all files in the folder from Read Only.

--Mac