What interface do you use with MTS

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

What interface do you use with MTS

Post by Robomusic »

I am looking to get a new interface, I an mostly interested in Firewire, although Mac comments on the E-MU sound nice to, but i really want a rack mount and at least 8 inputs with phantom power.

What are y'all usin?
Mac

Post by Mac »

I also have a MOTU 828 II Firewire device. Bought it about a year before buying the EMU.

Here's a kicker, the EMU simply sounds better than the 828 IMO.

Of course, I specc'd and bought the EMU with the magic "M" suffix, which means you get the same-as-protools mastering grade converters.

Be careful about purchasing a device simply because it has the Phantom Power already in it. Your options will be limited and your sound may suffer. The Swiss Army Knife approach is tantalizing, but you wouldn't want to use a Swiss Army Knife to try to do a valve job on the Chevy. (grin)

Check out the EMU "M" offerings carefully, you can step up to the 1820M and get quite a few inputs. Couple that with a good mixer or standalone mic preamp(s) and you've got quite a formidable setup there for the money.

With these converters, the graininess, the clock jitter sound, all of that is gone, man. (The 828 sounds MUCH better when externally clocked. Problem is that external clocks can cost MORE than the device itself. )

If money is a problem, the Delta 1010 may be long in the tooth but represents a good value for multiple inputs. Again, look into a mixer with good mic preamps in it...

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

One thing i though of was to get the E-MU 1212M ($199) and front it with a great rack pre, but would Light pipe be a good choice with that, or are there better formats, can the 1212M take a firewire pre input??

I guess my problem is I just don't like the look of the breakout box on the E-MU it looks fragile, and it only has two mike pres with Phantom power, then sometimes i think what the heck I will never track more than two or three mikes at a time in my life. So it should be far more than I will ever use. I keep thinking how cool it would be to track a whole band.

Theh other thing is I worry about the setup, I am fairly adept at this but that patchbay setup scares me a tad.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I wouldn't want to go digital input unless and until I'd filled up all the available analog inputs on an EMU "M" series card. What's the point in bypassing the great converters? That would be self defeating.

But if you need more analog inputs then you do have the option of using the combination SP/DIF or AEBU selectable digital inputs or the Toslink style optical input to add more via another AD unit. Lots of users are liking the little Behringer AD unit to add the extra channels, probably because of its pricepoint more than its performance, but with careful channel selection you could get away with it, like put a trap set's mics on the Berry and retain the EMU inputs with the better converters for vocals, guitars and such.

All really depends upon how much you desire the better converters. Some people may not hear nor appreciate the difference although I'd find that hard to believe.

I'd put up with running this thing in DOS if i had to just to get the use of those converters at the pricepoint.

Listening is believing,

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

are you talking about the ADA8000 berry? If so that begs another question, are the convertors in the card or the breakout box? If they are in the card then would a ADA8000 and a 1212M make a nice rack system, or is that going the wrong way again?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Robomusic wrote:are you talking about the ADA8000 berry? If so that begs another question, are the convertors in the card or the breakout box? If they are in the card then would a ADA8000 and a 1212M make a nice rack system, or is that going the wrong way again?
I think that's the berry number but I don't own one. The unofficial EMU forum is the place to check that out, there are plenty using the berry solution over there it seems. Yours truly ain't that hot on Herr Behringer's Red Chinese built ripoffs, you oughtta know that by now.

You are going to have to use BOTH pieces of the EMU system whether you add on more inputs via the converter box or not.

What you should do is hit the EMU site and look at the product descriptions carefully and then hit the EMU unofficial forums and lurk, lurk, lurk to see what you can find out that suits your wants. And don't ask, the links can be googled faster.

--Mac
Tunemaker

Re: What interface do you use with MTS

Post by Tunemaker »

Robomusic wrote:

What are y'all usin?
M-Audio Delta 1010 ( Works flawlessly with MT Studio )
firefly

Post by firefly »

M Audio 1010LT as well for me. Once I figured out how the thing worked (which took me a while because I didn't want to read the manual as thoroughly as I should and the whole "digital interface thing" was new for me), it has worked flawlessly with MTS. Any problems I may have is simply my own ignorance, but it appears I've worked through much of that as well.

It was about $199.00 or thereabouts from Musician's Friend.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Sounds like firefly is trying to do the same "I didn't want to read the manual" thing with the VST problem?

Time is money, taking a look in the manual about VST operation is likely to take less time than any other option...

--Mac
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

What are y'all usin?
I'm using a pair of M-Audio Delta44s (OK, not exactly rackmount in their original form ) giving 8 in 8 out, and a Yamaha MG12/4 exernal mixer. I suppose I should confirm that the two cards sync together, but I've not seen or heard any problems with this set up so far... The M-Audio ASIO driver and control panel just detected the second card and I was up and running

P :)
Mac

Post by Mac »

Delta series cards are great for multiple card work and were designed to do just that. You shouldn't have any syncing problems for they are also designed to detect and sync. Likely run off of the first one's clock, so never change it to System Timer in the Delta Control Panel (you shouldn't anyway unless you like to hear what jitter sounds like).

--Mac
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

Cool, Mac !

Thanks for the info...I will check the control panel, but I think it is as you suggest.

I had the first card for a couple of years. We will be recording our band shortly, so I bought the second card on ebay 'cos it seemed the cheapest way to get up to 8 channels. Now I am on that steep learning curve of miking drums. Will let y'all know how it turns out,

Geberally well peased with the M-Audio/MTS combination

P