Please teach me how to "monitor" recording project

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Russ Johnson

Please teach me how to "monitor" recording project

Post by Russ Johnson »

Thanks to all who replied to my "laptop does not have line-in"

I now have a USB device which works well and is providing stereo input to the laptop.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to monitor the recording of a track in MT. On my main computer, I am able to monitor.

I am sure this is a setting somewhere that I haven't discovered. I looked in MT and in the Sound/Audio of Control Panel and didn't see anything that gave me the ability to monitor.

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks and again, I appreciate the earlier advice. It is nice to be on a forum where rookies aren't belittled for their lack of knowledge. Believe me...I have participated in some where it gets pretty rough.

Thanks
Russ J
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

What USB device do you have? Does it have a headphone jack? If not then you need to think about getting a interface that allows the connection of headphones and speakers.
Russ Johnson

Post by Russ Johnson »

Hi-

It is the Griffin IMic. It has an input and output jack.

My intial post may have been a little misleading. Even with the internal default sound card, I cannot monitor.

Russ
Mac

Post by Mac »

Monitoring of prerecorded tracks is done by using the .wav output of the soundcard.

But there can be different ways of hearing the track you are playing while monitroing the prerecorded tracks. Not familiar with the soundcard device you bought at all, does its manual say anything about monitoring?

Seriously, it sounds to me like the device you bought wasn't really meant for multitrack recording but there may be a way to use it for such.

--Mac
Mac

Post by Mac »

Good Googledymoo, is http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic2/ THIS what you got?

$29.95 solution. And really made for the Macintosh with PC as an afterthought.

Gee, how good could the converters in a $30 sound device be?

don't answer that. But I'll tell you that the converter in your laptop may be able to blow it away easily. Or they are dead equals. Junk.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my advice is that if you are serious about multitrack recording, then you will have to step a bit closer to the plate than that to get good results, man.

But give it a try...

--Mac
Russ Johnson

Post by Russ Johnson »

Hey Mac,

I am using the laptop for very very basic recording. For example, transferring some old relatively low quality Christmas LP's/cassettes to computer so I can ultimately make CDs. Also, transferring high school basketball games taped from AM radio. Actually, I doubt if I will ever do any multitrack recording on that machine. So, the iMic works okay for the not-so-sophisticated recording jobs I am currently doing.

My main PC is where I do more serious multitrack recording work.

I just wish I could figure out how to monitor what I am doing on the laptop...like I can on the main PC. I left laptop at work. I will report back tomorrow with brand of sound card.

Thanks!
Russ
Mac

Post by Mac »

For that type of simple monitoring, no concerns for latency, just open the soundcard's playback software mixer applet and set the soundcard to .wav output and make sure the slider is up about 70% of the way or so.

This is accessed by doubleclicking on the little speaker icon in the taskbar down by the clock.

(For Recording there is ANOTHER mixer, don't confuse the two, the Recording properties are accessed via the File menu of the above window)

--Mac