Recording 8 trks from VS840 to MTS ????

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
submission

Recording 8 trks from VS840 to MTS ????

Post by submission »

OK stupid Question # 1

OK I plan on using MTS mostly for Mixing down ( 8 ) trks recorded in my V studio down to a 2 channel stereo mix.

Problem is VS 840 can only send 2 trks out at a time throught via Optical, Digital, or analog.

So how do I plan on getting 8 trks from VS 840 to MTS ..... well, let me tell ya.......

I figure if I set up a Midi clock in both the V studio and MTS (both using the same tempo map of course) that I could link both the VS 840 and MTS together just like any other midi sampler, drum machine, etc., then send 2 trks out of the V studio (via Optical or Digital preferably) into the sound card to 2 trks on MTS , of course keep doing this 2 trks at a time till all trks from V studio are on MTS.

Dose anyone see a reason why this may not work or any problems I might encounter that I might have missed.

Plus, can anyone recommend a decent sound card that supports (preferably Optical) or digital in that I wont have to dig into my kids collage funds to buy.

Lastly WHY this approach

The V studio was built to do one thing, Record and play back Multi trk recordings, my PC was not. Plus I own it, I hate to put it to rest just yet.

So why not just keep using the VS840 then.......
The VS 840 only supports one FX algorithm to be used at any given time, may it be input to one trk or Master out or FX send/return to all trks.

So trying to add lets say a pitch shifter delay to a guitar trk and a nice plate reverb to the Vocals, at one time is not possible unless you bounce the Guitar (with FX ), then do the Vocals etc,etc, Not a good why to go.
Mac

Post by Mac »

If you aren't confronted with tracks you have already recorded for a project and want to bring them into the PC for further work, I'd sincerely and heartily suggest that you bite the bullet now and cut ties with your old friend, start recording directly into the PC.

If you do have archived songs you'd like to bring in, try experimenting with your method and see what can be done. I've brought in tracks from some guy's VS something-or-other once, there was a setting to export as a .wav file for each track on that one, one at a time. Exporting the entire track for each track meant that they all lined up in time when importing into my PC recording software, which wasn't MTS back then, but it worked fine for adding further effects, recording more tracks, etc.

If you happen to love a certain effect that unit does for your guitar, set the thing up to act like nothing more than an effects processor between the guitar and Line Input of the soundcard and record directly to MTS, then try your hand at adding other effects if you like. Personally I always record a separate channel "dry" track when doing that to leave all options open at mixdown. A dry track can be changed in numerous ways, adding effects plugins, certainly, but I often will route the signal of that one track back out of the soundcard and into a real amp that is mic'd, too. Oooh. And you have so many options to get a good mixfit that way. Stompboxes can count and the beauty of this one is that if you decide you don't like what you have re-recorded in this fashion, you can just go back to the original dry track, jack, and do it again.

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

I have a small little studio I work in and dedicating a PC to record on right now aint much of an option, my main or for that matter only PC is also the family PC. Im considering partitioning the hard drive for mixing so I can customize the OS to suit the needs. All I will need to bring up from my studio will be my monitors.

Plus I just got done spending almost all my Up grade money I put away on new Guitar equipment Like a VOX AD50VT amp, Marshal MXL V67 mic, Samson C Valve pre amp and some misc. cords and stuff.

Im going to just have to wait till I up grade this PC before I can bring it into the studio and dedicate it for recording purposes only.

My wife would have a cow if I started bringing up all my stuff to record on in the family room, I don't even want to go there.....

Plus this is just a Hobby today, the spot lights have gone off and the stage crew have all gone home, the dream of being a big rock star is gone (well almost all gone, maybe just a wee little bit left in there some were) Awww who am I kidding Id jump at an opportunity in a hart beat :lol: .

Any why what about sound cards, any suggestions as what's good at a decent price???

Thanks
Submission
submission

Post by submission »

Well I just got of the VS studio forms and yes my Idea will work for converting and just for anyone doing a search on this here , it is sugested you use a 7400 or higher speed HD as for lag time when recording can become an problum. Thankfully I just meet the spects.

Submission....
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I have heard nothing but bad with partitioning, I suggest to just run as is for now and later get a second hard drive to keep the project files on and the program on the other.

I have family system that i build and it doubles as a e-mail/internet/typewritter/recording studio and gets it all done with style
submission

Post by submission »

Ya I wasnt to sure how that work work out anyway , I tried it once on an old PC and didnt go over to well ( just figured it was the PC ).

Thanks for the advice.