NEWBIE can't record midi

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
michael53

NEWBIE can't record midi

Post by michael53 »

hi all.........forum is most informative....u guys are great...thanks....

i have a problem.....can't record midi.....i have a yamaha keyboard (ypt-300) which has general midi capabilities........hooked up to usb via a midisport uno midi interface and have m audio pre usb audio interface (but that's not really involved with midi transfer is it??............since I'm doing usb into computer and not interface).........

anyway, i'm following wizard..........have done settings on yamaha which configure it for midi..........midisport uno 'midi in' lite is flashing (indicating a connection i'm supposing and some setting windows on mts show i'm connected.....they show my voice patches from the yamaha........

but can't record midi.................any help would be appreciated for THIS BIGTIME NEWBIE at home recording

Michael
Mac

Post by Mac »

Hi Michael,

When you say you 'can't record midi' -- are you saying you can't HEAR the midi when you attempt to play it back, or are you saying that once you have hit the record button in MTS, played in a few notes, hit stop, you cannot see any midi data as notes in the notation or pianoroll view?

--Mac
michael53

Post by michael53 »

hey mac.........thanks for getting back to me

first off.......don't think it's recording data, cause the meter for the track isn't showing activity at all...........so i'm (duh) probably not hearing anything or getting anything on playback; cause it never recorded anything.......(and yes when i play back there is no recorded notes or data anywhere to be found).........

i'm trying again this am...........changing some settings........i have yamaha keyboard with general midi capabilities; so i don't think that's the prob.......and have a midi usb interface and an audio interface ..........

feel it's some setting snafu........but in addition:

could u tell me what i should set my latency________Samples to in the winsound settings box (one that has audio in dev, midi in dev, midi out etc.
default setting is 2048.........seems high (i've been reading book on home recording and think this refers to buffer settings which effect latency etc)

and i'm unsure between winsound and asio......

sure appreciate the help
michael
Mac

Post by Mac »

first off.......don't think it's recording data, cause the meter for the track isn't showing activity at all...........
Midi is not sound, it is merely data. "Note On, Note Off, etc." Meters won't move unless and until your midi data is firing a midi synth that creates AUDIO for the meters to measure.

so i'm (duh) probably not hearing anything or getting anything on playback; cause it never recorded anything.......(and yes when i play back there is no recorded notes or data anywhere to be found).........
If you are only dealing with one track and you can start the transport, there has got to be midi data on the track or the transport won't run with nothing on a track. Again, look for notes in the notation view after recording. That is the first step. If you have notes on the track you have midi data on the track.
i'm trying again this am...........changing some settings........i have yamaha keyboard with general midi capabilities; so i don't think that's the prob.......and have a midi usb interface and an audio interface ..........

feel it's some setting snafu........but in addition:

could u tell me what i should set my latency________Samples to in the winsound settings box (one that has audio in dev, midi in dev, midi out etc.
default setting is 2048.........seems high (i've been reading book on home recording and think this refers to buffer settings which effect latency etc)

and i'm unsure between winsound and asio......
You seem unsure about a few other key points concerning the use of Midi data, no offense.

Winsound is not a low latency situation, ASIO is the low latency driver of choice, give or take.

BUT, you have to have a Midi synth connected either physically or virtually to the track output in order to hear anything -- the data needs something to play. This is probably your first problem, and definitely your problem if you can see those midi notes but can't hear them.

So there are more questions:

Do you want to hear the synthesizer in your keyboard when you play back the midi data, or another synth, perhaps a software solution?

Do you know the difference between the above two examples?

What possible Midi Output solutions do you have on your PC?

What soundcard, and does it have an internal Midi synth, can it do soundfonts, etc. etc.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Another very easy way to hear midi in this program is to google some free sound fonts, and then right click the midi port of the track that has the midi data, and then insert a sampler, then open it up and place a sound font in it.

I use that for all my midi it is quick and easy.