Recording midi notes from an Alesis SR-16 to MTS ?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
submission

Recording midi notes from an Alesis SR-16 to MTS ?

Post by submission »

Can I Record midi notes from an Alesis SR-16 to MTS

Is this posible ?

I have not yet tried this , and not sure even if I can with the demo.

I plan on using a drum Sampler to read the midi notes back so I could play around with the drum samples for each pad to help shape the sounds of the drum kit .

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Specifications list for the Alesis SR-16 says the following:

"MIDI: In and Out (Out can be set up as THRU)"

You should find more in the SR-16 manual, basic hookup would be Alesis Midi OUT to PC Midi IN and of course select the Midi input driver within MTS so that you can record the Midi data to a track.

There is more, you can sync via MTC timecode, which might prove valuable, again, start with the Alesis manual and if you don't have one google to see if you can download one.

HTH,

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

Thanks

Yes , I have the full manual and have gone over the Midi parts , just not sure how the midi note stuff worked ( I am a guitar player ), I normaly only use Midi MMC Midi Clock and I use it almost always when I record.

Thats cool , this should help alot.
submission

Post by submission »

Awwww so cool , I just got a USB midi in cord to test this out .....unknow reacording midi notes then using a wave sampler to play them back....

THAT IS SO COOL....... now I know why keyboard playes like this stuff so much ( us guitar players dont know what were missing )
Mac

Post by Mac »

I play guitar (and trumpet) also, piano was the first instrument my dad started me on a long time ago. Read on all. Pop then started me on trumpet at age 8. Guitar was all me. Why? 'Cuz da union sez they pays extra for the "multinstrumentalist" on yer card, man. :lol:

You should check out a Midi guitar or Midi guitar pickup and synthesizer like the Roland offering, man.

Play the guitar to enter Midi notes in realtime, you can have any of the Midi patches available, fast way for a keyboard impaired dude to lay down pad tracks like organ or strings, etc.

Even though I play keyboards sometimes I use the Midi guitar intentionally for it lends itself to doing things a bit differently, voicings etc. --And a Hammond organ patch played on midi guitar can do some frightening organ blues, man. Just don't bend notes unless you know the only way a hammond can bend a note, by turning off the tonewheel generator temporarily to slow it down while holding a note. See, the Hammond bends DOWN and not up. So every once in a while bend up, then pluck the string and let the note fall downwards for realism's sake.

A sax solo played on Midi Guitar can really make it and do it easily, depending of course on the quality of your midi patches and synth -- and what you play. Gotta be careful not to do anything a sax player wouldn't do or that a sax couldn't do. Finger vibrato really works for horn patches in solos, though, when put in the right places. Remember, a horn player has to breath, so no super long runs, instead play phrases that indicate the cat had to inhale in between (grin).

http://www.audiominds.com/cam/Goin_ta_Town.mp3

There is a file done back in late '98 for radio jingle purposes where you can dig a guitar synth layin' down an alto sax line, sounded so real I intentionally went way up high only at the end to give it away. Sax patch is an EMU jazz sax soundfont played back on the old SB Live card.

PS -- you can also lay down drum tracks using a percussion sample bank and play them in in realtime to the clicktrack with the Midi Pickup on yer strat, man. One drum at a time is better than trying to stretch for "chords" that fire the right drums. I usually start with the kick and then add the snare in the next pass, and so on. Also a very fast way to add custom fills to an already machine created drum track. -- or Latin Percussion, etc.

Just to infect you with a good case of G.A.S. mah man... :lol:

--Mac the Midiot
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Nice tracks Macster!! The Sax is great, as was the Organ, the whole enchilada for sure.