Playback out of sync

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Bobby Blues

Playback out of sync

Post by Bobby Blues »

Using mts has been brilliant until today... Today my backing track and vocal track i lay over it have become slightly out of sync and seem to be playing back slightly faster than it was recorded
They are both 'mp3's and its only 2 tracks ive used.....one to play the backing music and the second i sing into a mic'.
Up until today things were fine.....and no...ive not changed any settings that i know of.

Any ideas please BB
Saz

Post by Saz »

Check "Troubleshooting" in the help file for this heading... "My audio tracks are out of sync. What can I do?"

Also, you'll get better sounding results if you use wave files instead of mp3's.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Hi Bobby Bland (hey, you Bobby "Blue" Bland? then you know me from San Antone days) :shock:

On to yer problem:

You state that the files are also "slightly faster" which usually means a bit higher in pitch, too, when somebody makes that statement. Holdover from what we expect faster speed to do in the analog tape/vinyl days.

Actually, digital pcm audio can do one or the other or both independently, but speeding up a file in the easiest fashion possible in digital audio can be quite the same as with analog if the sampling rate is changed.

Question then becomes what could change the sampling rate.

First, check in MTS to make sure that whatever sampling rate you started recording at or that the backing track is recorded at is still the same (44.1KHz, 48, 96, etc.)

The difference between 44.1 and 48 Khz is slight, but will result in slightly faster files at slightly higher pitch.

If what you are hearing sounds more like the "chipmunk" effect, and you are using XP, go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sound Effect Manager and Under the "Sound Effect" tab make sure that the stupid "Karaoke" setting on the LH side is set to zero (0).

Have already troubleshot one instance of this in which that setting definitely must have somehow been toggled to a faster speed by a rogue bit of code or something, for my wife didn't even know the Sound Effect thing was there at all. It is GLOBAL in nature, boo. Everything audio she played back, including WMV videos and the like were running fast and high pitched on the audio.

HTH,

--Mac