m-audio MobilePre audio

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
katsep

m-audio MobilePre audio

Post by katsep »

Anyone use one of these with multi-track studio? I can't seem to get it set up to work on my HP laptop.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

It will work, as most things will work, It would help if we knew what did not work about it. does it not show up in the preferences, or what what drivers are you using, does your USB port work with other devices?
katsep

m-audio

Post by katsep »

Okay, I don't know much about using one of these things, but I have installed the updated drivers from the website, installed them, and plugged in the m-audio. When I try to record, I get a good signal but my voice comes out really slow and low and sounds like a monster, almost as if it just isn't getting enough power. If I set it at the highest latency number it is a little better, but still really terrible. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them to see if that could be the problem. I have also tried installing it onto my desktop computer, it does the exact same thing, really terrible recording. I have read through the manual several times, and it looks like I have everything set up correctly. I changed to the asio drivers in Multi-track studio, do I have to make any other changes to the settings in there? I'm using windows xp, 512 ram, 1.7 pentium centrion. My microphone works fine if I plug it into the microphone jack on the internal sound card.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

OPen the delta mixer window, and check to see what Sampling rates are setup and also see what MTS is set to. It should work just fine.
katsep

m-audio

Post by katsep »

There is no place to change a sample rate in the m-audio control panel, I can only change latency settengs there.
I have done all the tweaks to my system that the m-audio website sugests and they have not helped. I decided to install the demo software that came with the m-audio, just to see if the unit would actually work with their software (Live Lite 4). I started reading the manual and didn't actually get it to record anything but the manual said not to worry we would get to changing some settings in a further chapter. Not having any more time to spend with it at the moment, I shut down the program and on a whim opened my audio device in control panel to test my audio input and wonder of wonders it worked perfectly, my output coming out perfectly in sync with my input. Getting excited I opened MT and tried recording, It worked, I sounded like me! So I tried recording with a track I already had in there and it was not in sync. So as I was trying different latency settings, everything stopped working. No input or output. I rebooted and unpugged the unit and reinstalled the drivers, tested my audio input and it was back to not working, output was delayed and my voice was back to sounding like a very slow low monster type of voice. Sure enough after I started up the Live Lite, input worked again in MT, but even after setting it at the higest latency level I am still not in sync with my prerecorded track.
What have any MT users used for audio input with a laptop? I am about ready to send the m-audio back and try something else that I know would work easier with the MT software!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

My Delta mixer has a hardware tab and that allows sampling rate chages.

When you open up MTS, and go to studio/devices, and then click the settings, what is under audio devices, it should be set to you M-Audio interface, then click control panel, and see what options you have
Mac

Post by Mac »

Assuming you are setting the sound device's ASIO latency settings, they have nothing at all to do with tracks being in sync or not.

When using ASIO drivers the bitdepth and sampling frequency are set in the soundcard's software applet.

But if using any of the Windows sound drivers, (MME, WDM) the settings are usually found in the host recording app.

The fact that you found joy after installing Live but lost it again makes me suspect something running in the background programs perhaps, like a virus scanner or firewall, or something deleteriously affecting the sound device's drivers.

Are you using the latest drivers for the device, downloaded from the mfr's website, or are you using the drivers that came on the coaster in the box with the hardware? Try the latest drivers.

Also sounds like you just aren't familiar with what to do and when to do it, sorry but that is only going to come clear by taking the time to read the manuals for both the software and the hardware you are trying to use. There will be a clue in there somewhere as to what you are doing or not doing that needs to be done.

Check your device manager for this sound device, make sure there are no IRQ conflicts.

HTH,

--Mac
katsep

Post by katsep »

Thanks for all your help, I have finally got it working right by changing the samplerate to 48 in MTS.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Ever notice it is always in the last place you look?

Well, for most, anyways.

:lol:

Keep on trackin',

--Mac
katsep

Post by katsep »

I have a question though, the m-audio supports sampling frequencies from 8000hz to 48000hz so why can I only get the tracks to stay in sync at 48 samplerate, why won't it work at 44.1? There is not a place on the m-audio control panel that I can find to change these frequencies.
Also the m-audio reccomends the use of the asio drivers, but my recording is awful with the asio, it is really slow and the voice is real draggy and doesn't sound anything like me.
So using the winsound drivers and the 48 sampling rate for each recording works but that means I will have to use the samperate converter every time before I mix down, I can live with that I guess, but I'm thinking that there must be some other solution that I am not seeing, anyone have any ideas?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Do you have any other audio recording app that you can try to see what happens with that thing?

Can you set up and record and get work done in MTS using your built in soundcard?

I'm thinking you have a problem that needs to be addressed by M-Audio or perhaps they may have a forum for these issues.

At this point I don't think that it is an MTS problem.

--Mac
katsep

Post by katsep »

Yes, I can record into my soundcard without any problem. I have read everything on the support board at m-audio, and contacted their email support twice already, but they have yet to get back to me. Hopefully I will get some help from them! Thanks for your help. Every bit helps as I am on the learning end.
Mac

Post by Mac »

katsep wrote:Yes, I can record into my soundcard without any problem.
Sounds like MTS is installed right and workin' then.

That is a USB sound device, right?

Most are USB 2.0 devices, check your setup, could be you are trying to use the thing on a USB 1 or 1.1 port, something like that. Just a thought.

USB 1 won't have the bandwidth most likely.

--Mac
Support

Post by Support »

In the Windows Control Panel, try setting "Sound Scheme" to "No Sounds". You can also try selecting the built-in soundcard as default audio devices, so the external one isn't used by windows.

Some soundcard drivers can get terribly confused if windows uses them while they're doing something else.
katsep

Post by katsep »

Okay, when I selected the built-in soundcard as default audio device it made everything work perfectly! I can now record at the 44.1 samplerate and I am so grateful to all you who helped me out!
I am now getting really clear recording without all the noise as compared to when I just plugged a mic into the back of my soundcard.