level meter

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
kat10

level meter

Post by kat10 »

Hi,
When recording I cannot get my level meter to move much unless I put microphone right up to my mouth. I am wondering if I need to purchase a better soundcard. I am just using the one that came with my computer, it is a soundMax Integrated Digital Audio. I can record but the volume is not the best. I am using an optimus unidirectional microphone plugged into the microphone jack on the back of computer sound card. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete newbie.
Rat-Sass

Post by Rat-Sass »

Did you go into RECORDING and then AUDIO INPUT CONTROL ?
Check your mic level there.
If the level is turned way up, and you might be using a high-impedence microphone, click on the ADVANCED button just below the slider and then try clicking the Microphone +20dB Boost button.
Normally, that Boost should be unchecked.
kat10

Post by kat10 »

Rat-Sass wrote:Did you go into RECORDING and then AUDIO INPUT CONTROL ?
Check your mic level there.
If the level is turned way up, and you might be using a high-impedence microphone, click on the ADVANCED button just below the slider and then try clicking the Microphone +20dB Boost button.
Normally, that Boost should be unchecked.
Yes, I have already done all that and it doesn't help, I can't get my level meter up into the yellow unless I almost yell into the mike, what is weird is that I tried recording on my old 350mghz computer and it actually works better as far as getting the level meter up. Does it have anything to do with the sound card being integrated, would a seperate one be better? I can actually get better sound input with my cheap computer microphone than with this one, and it is really bugging me because I can't understand why.
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi kat10,

Although a separate soundcard will yield better results(lower noise and better Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog conversions), the problem you describe sounds more like a settings problem.

If you have 2 mic inputs(front and back) on your PC, make sure the one you are not using is disabled.

If you have SoundMAX 4 XL, the problem might be caused by the AudioESP feature. Try disabling AudioESP.

Also, check your PC maker's website and look for updated audio drivers for your model - probably not the problem, but doesn't hurt to check.

Having said that, it is preferable to use the line-in jack whenever possible - the quality of the preamps on the mic input of built-in soundcards are typically very poor. Of course this means getting a separate mic preamp or mixer - plugging your mic into that and plugging that into your soundcard's line-in jack. An inexpensive mixer I've had good results with is detailed here... http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB802

Hope this helps. :)
Robomusic

hhhmmm

Post by Robomusic »

I recall a girl over at the cakewalk site with a very similar problem, it seemed that the mike was the problem, it was not a dinamic mike and had very little if any gain with out a real good preamp. Also what else have you run thru the mike jack, if you play guitar and bass thru there it might be fried and not working well. Just a few feeble brian waves that i have left.