MTS Midi MTC Master/Slave ?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
submission

MTS Midi MTC Master/Slave ?

Post by submission »

As far as I can tell ( from reading help file ) MTS can only be an Master controller not a slave , is this True or False.
With the Lite version I can not tell as for it has NO Midi Time Code support.

Thank you.
Mac

Post by Mac »

If MTS can be setup to Slave via MTC, I'd like to know how to do it, too.

I don't think it can from what I tried and I have the ProPlus version running here.

Geils?

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

Thanks Mac
I didnt think it did ( not many do )

I was just reading around a couple of forums and sombody was saying to use a sequncer . Set up the sequencer to read the MTC from your external device and hit play on the sequncer , now suposidly the sequncer will wait till you hit play on your external device before recording will start.

I dont see this working as for what will or how will MTS know when to start recording??? But Im going to look into this as for from what Im reading making a MultiTrackStudio a slave is not an option on many studios , their mostly all Masters , well at least in this price range maby.

If anyone looks into this let me ( or us ) know what you found out.
Mac

Post by Mac »

If all you want to do is use MTS and start recording upon receipt of a Midi event, MTS will do that, certainly.
The Remote Recording window has several options that can be useful when you are recording on your own. Remote Recording allows you to walk to your guitar/microphone etc. before recording starts. There are two ways of doing this:

Wait: The Transport simply waits for a specified time to elapse.
Wait for MIDI In event: The Transport waits for a MIDI Note or Controller event on the MIDI In port. This works for audio recording as well. If you have a MIDI sustain pedal you can use this to start the Transport. Any channel on the MIDI In port can be used to start the Transport.
Note: the remote recording settings are used only if there is at least one track in Record mode.
That's from the manual.

Is that what you want to do?

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

No not really , I actually need to be able to sync not just auto start.

Im still looking into a way to do this.
Support

Post by Support »

Mac wrote:If MTS can be setup to Slave via MTC, I'd like to know how to do it, too.
MultitrackStudio can be master only. If it were a slave it would have to resample the audio tracks on-the-fly, in order to be able to match the master speed. Being slave is much easier for MIDI-only soft or hardware.
submission

Post by submission »

Yes , What you said about having to resample the audio tracks on the fly.
I noticed on some other mutitrack recorders that it was mentioned that Wave files and the like are not affected by MTC time code only the start time is acually synced.

So then how would you sync let say a DAT and some sequncers with what you would have recorded on the PC ( via Audio Wave files ) together ??? Is it even possible with out spending $$$$$$ on a PC to handle it.

This PC stuff is driving me nuts.
Mac

Post by Mac »

submission wrote:Yes , What you said about having to resample the audio tracks on the fly.
I noticed on some other mutitrack recorders that it was mentioned that Wave files and the like are not affected by MTC time code only the start time is acually synced.

So then how would you sync let say a DAT and some sequncers with what you would have recorded on the PC ( via Audio Wave files ) together ??? Is it even possible with out spending $$$$$$ on a PC to handle it.

This PC stuff is driving me nuts.
If you have files prerecorded on DAT or ADAT and wish to continue working on them in the PC, you may not even need to bother with syncing, just import the digital files over to the PC by recording them in MTS via whatever digital input you have available. AES/EBU would let you do multiple tracks at once but SP/DIF is not a kill if you realize you can do two tracks at a time and make sure you start at the exact same place each pass.

MTS cannot run from the code in the DAT, but the DAT may be able to run to the code from MTS, which would indeed sync them, but why bother? See the above.

DAT is only two channels anyway, no? I think there are ways to get 4 channels out of DAT, the old Otari did that IIRC. But it ain't no ADAT as far as track/channel count goes. I haven't used ADAT in three or four years now. But can understand if you have something archived that you need to work with today.

There ARE programs that will chase MTC. I have the need sometimes when underscoring jingles, typically they send me a videotape with a SMPTE burn on one of the two audio channels and any audio they have already put in mono on the other side, I use a buffer preamp in between the taped audio of the stripe into the PC to do this. Are you ready? Protools. There is a slight price difference between Protools and MTS.

Matter of fact, I'm here posting and using MTS over that slight price difference, the upgrade to the new ver of Protools price is the reason, I will keep the old Digi-001 and the Mac G4 running as long as possible at 16 bit, but -- damn. They ain't payin' for nationwides like they used to because everybody and his brother now has a PC DAW and is in the jingle bidness.

I think Vegas and Sonar can do it, too, perhaps Nuendo also. Well, they cost less than Protools and don't require proprietary plugins and hardware to run...

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

After messing around with MTS for a while now Im considering finding a multiTrack recorder that will alow me to Import audio and Midi trks ito my PC as I need then save them as WAV and MID files then just open them in MTS for further work from there , Now all I got to do is finding that other program.
Mac

Post by Mac »

submission wrote:After messing around with MTS for a while now Im considering finding a multiTrack recorder that will alow me to Import audio and Midi trks ito my PC as I need then save them as WAV and MID files then just open them in MTS for further work from there , Now all I got to do is finding that other program.
I use a laptop plus the EMU1616M for onlocation stuff.

I use the same 1616M card on my desktop via a SYBA pcmcia-to-pci adaptor for when I'm back at the home studio.

Guess it all depends upon which method you like best, but in my book the money is better spent towards the fast laptop than a hardware solution that likely goes obsolete due to nonupgradability (there's a new word!).

Lots of folks prefer the dedicated recorder, though, and you won't have any tweak/setup type issues to deal with. Until you get back to the PC for what you want to do with the editing, then you are back to the same situation as those of us face who do the entire thing on the PC or laptop. Maybe even a few more issues than we face, for the old dictum of added stuff equaling added complexity is certainly going to apply, as with anything.

Luck,

--Mac