USB versus recording anything you hear

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
verreaultr

USB versus recording anything you hear

Post by verreaultr »

My first post to this outstanding forum and product. :D

My question is about how MTS 7.5 seems to record from USB but in some situations not all types of audio signals concurrently.

My instruments (microphone, guitar, etc) are connected to a UA-25 interface, which in turn is connected to the computer with a USB cable. The UA-25 is USB-only by design. And the computer is Windows 7. For audio reproduction, I have a stereo amp which is connected to the UA-25's output jacks, and everything is audible, all instruments, midi, MTS tracks and anything else playing on the computer`s web browsers as well.

However in MTS 7.5, using Add tracks, the midi mode records all the midi, while the audio mode (wav, etc) will apparently only record instruments coming via the UA-25 instrument jacks, but nothing from the computer itself, for example the music coming from web sites.

My first observation is that connecting the UA-25's USB cable automatically disabled the computer's headphone jack. Apparently this would not be important, I thought, as the stereo amp is reproducing all of the sounds, midi, mic and instruments, and anything on the computer as well, loud and clear.

So I was hoping not to have to disconnect the USB in order to record audio from the computer. :?:

I have been through all the UA-25 settings, and the computer`s sound and ASIO settings as well. Windows 7 reports them all as up to date, so is it the USB that is somehow blocking the regular audio signal, or something else?

Many thanks,

Roger
verreaultr

Re: USB versus recording anything you hear

Post by verreaultr »

Well it looks like I have discovered the solution to my own problem.. the UA-25 does have a button for toggling between regular line in and digital after all. So case closed, and all of this had nothing to do with MTS.

By the way, MTS 7.5 is the best studio program I have used so far, stable and easy to use. Many cheers for Mr. Bremmer.

Roger
verreaultr

Re: USB versus recording anything you hear

Post by verreaultr »

I earlier wrote "the UA-25 does have a button for toggling between regular line in and digital after all".

Today I discovered that in order to have an MTS audio track record from a website, such as the drum pattern sequencer found on drumbot.com, I had to install two adobe flash programs, not one, the first being the NPAPI version and the other activex. I had not realized that Firefox only installed the NPAPI version, while IE only installed the activex version. Now the computer has both.

This combination now allows me to record audio from the internet, as long as I toggle the UA-25's "digital in" button as follows: on for the internet's adobe flash playing on the computer, and off for regular instruments connected to the UA-25.

The only minor set back is that MTS can't record both at the same time. So I prerecord a drum track once from adobe flash and then I add other audio tracks from my instruments connected to the UA-25.

Roger