OK How about MMC support ??

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
submission

OK How about MMC support ??

Post by submission »

Sorry for being a pain here , But how about MMC ( midi machine control ) support . I looked again in the help files and all I saw was MME but its not the same ( as far as I know )

Im trying my best here to find a way to get MTS to work for me , I really like MTS , just got to figure out how I can get some kind of external sync here that will work for me.

Even if there might be somthing in a future update , as for Im in no real hurry or need here , MTS would be worth the wait.

Thank you
Submission.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I don't really understand what you are trying to do why not explain the process and then maybe someone can help you.

Are you trying to get MTS to follow the commands of a synth or something like that, or to be able to sync up two to three sources for live play? There might be a solution if we knew what you were trying to do. Maybe something like Midi OX
Mac

Post by Mac »

Am with Robo on this, you should tell us exactly what it is you want to do, and be as explicit as you can.

MME = The original Windows Sound Drivers. Old, high latency, but known for performance like a brick. Stands for "Multi Media Enchancement" and has been around since Win95.

Can't figure out how someone who doesn't know that would need complex MMC/MTC and the like, sorry.

So what exactly is it that you need to hook up?

One of those hardware knobs and buttons controller gizmos?

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

OK, Im trying to sync a V studio to my PC so I can record all the trks from the V studio to my PC and also (this is new to me) sync Midi notes along with the trks.

Why stick with the V studio, PORTABILITY.
I don't work alone I have been playing for almost 25+- yrs, and work with others from time to time. Im not dragging a hole PC to my Friends houses so they can lay down some trks for me.

When Im ready to add some drum trks, There is no PC drummulateor software program that can get a better Humanized drum trk better then a real Drummer, mainly one that has a full electronic kit, Just plug in and record, he also has an old wooden Ludwig kit that has that classic Big Led Zep Drum sound (if recorded right that is ).
The keyboardist I work with has a room filled with his gear, Its just a whole lot easier to meet him at his house then to have him meet me. Then again he also has a Mid size grand piano and an old fender roads 88 (hook the roads up with a flanger and some distortion Mmmm nice) Ya you can simulate these, but the real thing is still the real thing.

The same goes for Vocals ( I suck but I do try )
Base player, other Guitarists The list goes on and On ......... .

Bottom line I go to them and get the best that they got and not what the can carry or bring to me.

Porta studio to the rescue.

And if something really great comes from all this I or We know where to go and get a better pro recording of it all.

So for me Im just looking to get the trks from My V studio into the PC so I can Mix them with more flexibility with the FX. The down fall of my V studio is the amount of FX I can add at any single given time, Outside of that, Its all I need and If I had the money I would buy a newwer Bigger and better portastudio Or stand alone then upgrade or convert to using a PC any day, Its the upfront cost that I feel pulls people away from using them.

Please dont take this next part the wrong way.......
I have been realizing that a lot of others that work with the PC seem to work more by them selfes and not much with other musicans , You here people asking ( how do I get that real human drum sound ) Ahhhh a real drummer maby????, A real drummer would most likly be more then happy to help lay some trks for ya as well as Guitarist \bass players Singers \Keyboards.

Dont get me wrong I also work a lot by myself as well , But I also spread my wings and work with others as well and the same goes for them as well.We Help each other out.

So keeping my Portability is very Important to me as well as getting the trks I record into the PC for Mixing them.

Thanks
Submission
Mac

Post by Mac »

I have done what you want to do and have not bothered with the Midi syncing to accomplish it.

Since you are mainly in the audio domain, think about keeping it there the whole time no matter the platform, multitracker standalone device or PC with software. I often use Midi keyboards as "regular" instruments that have an audio output, recording only the audio output from them to a wave file.

You can even use the PC and the Midi softsynth/sampler as a standalone Midi generator, plug the output of the soundcard into one of the inputs (hopefully stereo) of the multitracker and record the midi instrument there if you like. Forget all the midi data stuff, treat it just like you were playing another acoustic instrument.

Record all the audio tracks you want on the multitracker, hopefully following a click track to make your life easier, but if everybody in the collab can keep great time you may not want or have to do that. I'm a firm user of the click track and believer in it from several decades of recording experience. Not only are overdubs much easier to do with the click in there and have all timings not getting in the way, edits are going to be easier and the song will simply flow better and sound better at playback. If you argue with that standpoint, save it, I had way too many examples of what can go wrong without a click in a multitracked project two or three decades ago.

Once you transfer the tracks into MTS from the multitracker and have them all lined up (including the audio click track hopefully) you can go ahead and use MIDI instruments to add whatever to the fray without the need to synch anything at all. You can even just ignore the MIDI track recording process altogether if you like and record Midi synths directly as audio provided you have an external hardware midi synth solution. Using softsynths and samplers in realtime is just a little bit more work, go ahead and record Midi tracks in realtime along with the audio.

The only "syncing" you would have to do is setting the Midi Metronome to match the audio tracks -- this is why a good click track makes it a snap.

Since there isn't any Midi data on the multitracker, not in the sense of Midi tracks, no need for fullblown chasing here.

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

Ok Ill have to give that more of a try and see what I can work out.