Wheel organ .... Help?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
fingersonly

Wheel organ .... Help?

Post by fingersonly »

I am strictly an audio guy. Been doing hobby home recording for a few years now but it has been all audio. Acoustic, electric Guitar, Bass and drum loops. Songrwriter stuff.Used N-track from the start but recently swichted to Mstudio, love it --simple stable does the basic stuff I do great!

Learned pretty much everything from lurking in the forums, (should mail a monthly check to MAC!! but I wont gush)
But no nothing about MIDI.... I mean nothing!

But would really like to use the Wheel organ, ... where is the starting point in learning how to use it? What is the bare fundamental equipment needed? Any other suggestions as how to get on the very first part of the learning curve to use soundfonts?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Can you play a bit of keyboard? Get some kind of midi controller keyboard or a midi keyboard that has internal sounds plus Midi in and out so you can use it as a controller. Look for Velocity (Touch) sensitivity and a Mod wheel and Pitchbend wheel at a minimum. You don't need 88 keys not weighted action to come to this party and dance.

Guitar player only? Look into the Roland GK-2 or 2a Midi Guitar pickup, plus you will have to pick up a synth box that has the needed Midi output on it, the Roland "GR" series of synths all have them, from GR-1 through GR-whatever number these days. I use an old and inexpensive GR-20 as the midi interface, works fine. This allows you to play yer guitar but fire all those Midi sounds that keyboardists use. Since I play both keyboard and guitar you might be wondering why I use both: Man, certain things played on the midi guitar simply can't be done on the keyboard without tying yer hands up in knots. Like a pentatonic blues lightning run in the key of B... or Db. Midi guitar firing tonewheel (hammond) organ patch like the MTS tonewheel simulator is a mighty fine thing, that and strings you can add the much need keyboard pads to your projects with ease.

Check EBAY for used prices whether you are after keyboard, guitar solution or both. Save $$$ for there are many who purchase but few who follow through.

Midi really isn't all that hard to learn IMO, many just want instant gratification and that ain't gonna happen, you will have to do a bit of studying of new terminologies, understanding a few things, treat Midi like a brand new instrument that you have to learn how to play all over again and take it a little at a time. Just like learning to play a guitar.

HTH,

--Mac
fingersonly

Post by fingersonly »

Thanks MAC, Mucho Help
:D
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

One thing i have been doing is to download tons of midi tracks from the internet and do covers with then using the samper and a few VSTis. But also sometimes the tracks can be diced up and Midi loops and even full drum or bass tracks can be altered to be used in other projects. Midi can be very useful.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Hi Fingers, if you're looking for a "cheap way to get into the world of midi guitars, take a look at the "Yamaha EZ-AG Guitar Midi Controller Thread" over at kvraudio.com
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
There are also some helpful guys and good tips in there.
I'm in the process of looking for an alternative to ntrack. How does MTS rate with you?

regards
Chris
Mac

Post by Mac »

sinbad wrote: I'm in the process of looking for an alternative to ntrack. How does MTS rate with you?

regards
Chris

Well, for one thing, it ALWAYS WORKS. :shock:

I got tired of glitches and things popping up just when I had a good creative flow goin' on. Sort it out, troubleshoot, download this, post that, figure it out and get it working again and -- what was that great idea? #%$^&

I can lose features that don't work or don't work the same way every time for reliability any day. And I dropped n in the earlier versions 3 or so for that reason.

--Mac
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Mac,
I read your reply after I had taken the plunge. I have been loathed to change because I wanted to remix most of my old projects and didn't want to change formats. To be fair to Flavio ntrack worked ok on my old Win98 setup, but after I changed to laptop and usb2 external soundcard nothing worked. So lets see it MTS lives up to its reputation.
I have been lurking here for a while looking for a good reason to change, and last night ntrack crashed for the millionth time :evil: so my mind was made up.
All I need to do now is learn how to use it.
chris
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Well if your looking for something that is easy to learn and allways work. MTS all the way. :D :D :D :D
Andr
fingersonly

Post by fingersonly »

Sinbad,
Sorry so long in answering.... I noticed you asked how Mtrack rates with me. GREAT, I simply make better recordings. I used N-track for quite a while but now exclusively mtrack. Simply works!

By the way anyone else have any experiece with the Yamaha EZ-EG?

I had a Roland GK-20 for a while, it was fun, but tracking was just impossible for me with the traking delay. Spent to much time trying to adjust the sensitiby so gave up and sold it.
The lack of latency with the Yamaha is intersesting, anyone else tried this?