Please Robomusic - a small statement - P(L(EAC(S)E

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Antonio

Please Robomusic - a small statement - P(L(EAC(S)E

Post by Antonio »

:roll:
Hallo Robo

please dont be angry, and mac too, who?s doing a great job here. well, both of u

Robo, as I am a nervous player and I need that feature, what about comfortable audi combing in MTS?

thanks a lot for an answer.

By the way, I informed a friend of MTS and he?s also checkin it. He has got FL. Maybe he joins the boad. It?s Chris/ Arke from KVR

Really hope MTS could do and I can join this great comunity here!

cheers
Antonio
Mac

Post by Mac »

"audi combing"

? ? ?

--Mac
Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Hy mac

thank?s again for you appearance! :D

comb audio, I already talked about it, please read my post?s:

Quote1
An important part is „Comp Audio Recording“ comping is for real instruments (and vocals) , be played by people like me, who are advanced player, but make always silly mistakes .
It?s to record several tracks from the same take or tune. The complete part from beginning to end let?s say 5-8 times. And than take the best parts of every track to make ONE PERFECT track. I think every software can do, but how good, how easy, how much special features for that? For instance Sonar 5 does it perfectly, but i think S5 is too big for me – a too deap learning curve!

Quote2
Robomusic, I wanted to ask you, as you know the fantastic Sonar feature Comb Audio, if it works fine with MTS. Sorry if I wasn?t such a nervous player, I wouldn?t need it. I also play new instuments, which I am not so familiar yet. So Robo, be aware, I have to do a lot audio! What do you say about my main issues?
By the way, I like to save money, but money isn?t the issue. So, if MTS ?s THE THING for ME, I would buy it, even if Sonar would cost the price of MTS and vice versa.

Yeah, this is my last point to know.

thank?s a lot

all the best

Antonio
tmon

Post by tmon »

I'm not familiar with the procedure in Sonar, but if I understand what you're asking, Antonio, I wonder if MTS's "Alternate Take" option takes care of this? I've been in search of a similar feature since my old Cubase on the Atari days and have yet to be satisfied.

I'm new to MTS, so others with more experience will have to chime in to answer...

From Page 15 of the MTS manual:

Alternate Take

Using the Alternate Take option from the Recording->Alternate Take menu, you can quickly make a new Track ready for recording of a new take ofthe last recorded Track. The behavior of this option depends on the Alt T in new Track option.

If Alt T in new Track is inactive (default) this is what happens:

1. The last record Track's File Options Menu's Alternate Take option is executed.

2. The Transport's position is set to the position the last recording started.

If Alt T in new Track is active this is what happens step-by-step:

1. The last recorded Track's Play and Rec Buttons are deactivated.

2. A new Track is added and set in Record Mode.

3. A file is created having the same name as the last recorded file, but with a number added. If the name ended witha number, that number is incremented.

4. The Transport's position is set to the position the last recording started.

From what I read, it appears that one has to manually stop/start/restart recording, as well as manually mute the previously recorded take.

Not as elegant as I would like, and nothing like how I used to do it in my old Cubase/Atari set up, where you could preset the loop points and use single key keyboard commands to either erase the last take, overwrite the last take, or overdub, all the time while the music keeps playing.

-taiji
Antonio

Post by Antonio »

:D thank?s for your reply

I don?t think this is it.

My excaple is now voice:
I mean to marker all good sounding words/ sentences of take/track 1
all good . . . . from take/track 2
all . . . . from 3
all . . . 4
all. . . . 5

and then into ONE PERFECT TAKE

as I said, some DAW?s have special features for it, easy, comfortable, quick!

cheers
Antonio
Saz

Post by Saz »

I haven't performed any "Comping" in MTS - although I have used the punch feature with great results.

Besides copy and paste of parts into a new track, the only other Comping method I can think of is to use volume automation on each track and then record those tracks to another track.

I would think volume automation would be the easiest way to provide the best results.
tmon

Post by tmon »

and then record those tracks to another track.
Hmm. That would be an analog transfer, correct?
Saz

Post by Saz »

tmon wrote:
and then record those tracks to another track.
Hmm. That would be an analog transfer, correct?
Hi tmon, unless you go outside the soundcard for analog processing(and back in) this stays in the digital realm.

It's the same process as mixing down tracks for an entire song.
tmon

Post by tmon »

Saz,

Excellent.

Well, then, to me, MTS can do what Antonio is asking. Maybe not the same way as Sonar, but with the alternate takes feature, you just do your re-recording and then pull the good takes together.

A user defined loop-record function combined with the Alternate Take feature and what you describe would kick it up a notch in terms of musicality and efficiency, but for now, this will do, IMHO. I'm going to have to try it out....
Mac

Post by Mac »

I do Comping in all sorts of different audio recording programs.

Easiest method is to use Volume Envelopes to bring up the part of the track I want to use while turning down all the others. Some programs allow for automation of the mixer to do this, too.

I don't bother with trying to consolidate all to one track, typically I might have three to six lead vocal tracks, say, and will just audition them at mixdown time and then decide which one to turn up for which part. This also leaves options open for reversion.

With MTS you can use the "Automated Fader" function to do this very easily.

Great way to assemble lead guitar lines, too.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

What i do is to do thre takes and if each has a mistake or two then i take the better of the takes and cut and paste the good part over the bad parts just like cut and paste in word. but the automated fader thing would work, like mac said, just open a new trac and set the faders and record a new track with the best parts of them all.
tmon

Post by tmon »

I haven't tried the automated fader thing yet. I will have to do so.

This program is way cool...!
Mac

Post by Mac »

Man, save the cuttin' and pastin' routine for those times when nothing else will work. And those times should be few and far between, linin' up bars and measures, worrying with those notes you intentionally played ahead of the beat and how to cut and paste them into just the right place, etc. etc. is as stupid as marking, cutting and splicing tape used to be. And often just as hard.

The "Automated Faders" or more properly termed "Volume Envelopes" method it the way to go.

This is why I hardly ever bother with the punchin junk.

I just record the same track several times, making several passes all the way through from beginning to end.

Then 'comp' using the Volume Envelopes.

This allows you to easily find just the right place to turn down one track while turning up the other, fitting it in between notes and phrases by using 'abrupt' volume changes, or you can elect to draw actual fades from one to the other sometimes, too, for a smooth edit.

Once you practice entering those nodes with the mouse and moving them around, the graphical representation of those lines makes it quite clear what is happening -- and WHEN it is happening. You can get to the point where you are able to "paint" a sonic picture using Volume Envelopes.

PAN envelopes are very good to get to know, too -- crossfades are a happenin' thing if not overdone. No trick is good when overdone.

--Mac