Buffer underrun (MIDI OUT) error message

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
tmon

Buffer underrun (MIDI OUT) error message

Post by tmon »

I was just trying to start working on learning a new song.

Loaded a 44/16 wav file on one track.

My plan was to comp along side the pre-recorded wav file with a simple Rhodes sample (MIDI) to start sketching out the chords.

But I couldn't get the wav file to playback, it was as if the transport was frozen.

Then, I closed that song, and tried to open the MTS demo song. which has two MIDI tracks and a guitar wav.

This is when I got this "Buffer underrun" error message:
Error
Buffer underrun (MIDI Out)
Probably using too much CPU processing power.

Hints:
-Close all other programs
-Remove some effects.
I turned off all effects, even deleted the track with the Wave file. I've got no other apps running...still no playback.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's happening? MTS on my P4 3.4 with 2GB of RAM had been running several tracks as of last week no problem...
Mac

Post by Mac »

Strange behavior, especially for this program.

First thing I'd try is a reboot of the PC.

Second thing would be a disk defrag.

If problem recurs I might go so far as to try an uninstall/reinstall of MTS too.

Be on the lookout for any "rogue" plugins you may have installed, too. The buffer underrun may indicate that you started up something with that Midi attempt and it kept on running when it shouldn't have. Maybe. Just speculation, what else have I got to go on?

--Mac
tmon

Post by tmon »

I did just did do an uninstall/reinstall of MTS. Though I don't think it was the problem.

Upon inspection of settings for my onboard audio chip. I noticed things had gone haywire. The settings were all "wrong." This was probably the source of my problems. After restetting things properly, playback in MTS is OK now. I'm using this dog/C-Media onboard audio chip just because I haven't gotten around to getting a better PCI card and the software for the thing is really buggy on my system...

All is well for now. I'm thinking of getting an Audigy 2 ZS cheap off of ebay - this workstation is not yet intended for serious recording - maybe for sketches for other bandmates to listen to, etc., so I figure the Audigy 2 will be good for my current purposes.

Thanks for the helpful "energy!"
Mac

Post by Mac »

Installing programs that use the soundcard, like RealPukeBox or QuickSlime and the like can easily change your default settings if you aren't careful about that, either during the install or immediately thereafter, going back into the thing and taking a look at the Advanced settings and File Associations and the like.

Common problem, may not be what happened to you.

I used to have problems with one soundcard to be left unnamed intentionally, but every so often the thing would change its settings all by itself and about once every three months or so it would corrupt its own drivers, calling for a reinstall. Bad code is bad code is bad code. In this case, it was more like bloatware that came with the card. Oops, now you know which card it was, huh? ***coughcreativecough***

Enjoy, luvit when the plan gets back on track,

--Mac
tmon

Post by tmon »

Hmmm...thanks for sharing...i was a little wary of the game/toy-like nature of bloated driverdom options and "a particular card." I was considering that one because of claims that it took might be a good one to use with soundfonts. Are there no others that can serve such a purpose?
True, I wouldn't want to trade one set of driver junk for another variation on the same smelly theme, so the search continues....
Mac

Post by Mac »

Don't take that the wrong way -- I made several CDs and lots of commercials on a lowly SBLive card back in the day.

The Audigy can turn in a good performance, especially of importance might be the fact that it uses an internal soundfont engine, if your CPU power is not real fast, that can be a plus, freeing up the CPU to run plugins on audio tracks and such, instead of being a sampler. And if you use a Midi Keyboard or Midi Guitar or horn, there is almost 0 latency with one of these cards, always a plus.

--Mac
tmon

Post by tmon »

Thanks for the "clarification." I've also used earlier versions of SB Live in the past. I'm just starting to refamiliarize myself with the latest offerings.

I'll move further discussion regarding soundfonts back to another thread. For others that may run into what I did, I hope this discussion has at least illuminated the audio card driver setup as a possible culprit....