New users - don't overlook the Convolutor in MTS

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Saz

New users - don't overlook the Convolutor in MTS

Post by Saz »

Just a little note for new users that may not be aware - there are some nice impulse files(reverb, etc.) available on the net that work very well with MTS's built-in Convolutor, which is similar to SIR (Super Impulse Reverb).

Here's one source... http://noisevault.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=29
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Yeah i second that i use it on most of my tracks and it works very well.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Saz--

To clarify, are you saying that the same Impulse Files I used to use in SIR will just drop into the Convolutor and work?

Or is this wishful thinking on my part?

I miss the SIR Lexicon files but haven't got around to dealing with all that on my new setup. SIR was very CPU intensive but sometimes worth it.

--Mac
Saz

Post by Saz »

Mac - I'm using the same impulses I used with SIR and they work fine.

Iirc, the SIR program may have had a few more "knobs", but so far every IR file I've tried with the Convolutor has worked.

Just went experimentin' one day. :)
Mac

Post by Mac »

Thanks for the report, Saz, that is great news, now all I gotta do is grab 'em off the hard drive in the old machine and awaaaay we go!

Das aiiight sho' nuff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

--Mac
submission

Post by submission »

What exactly is the Convolutor ??? How could or can it be used ???
Mac

Post by Mac »

Convolutor uses Impulse Response files.

IR is sampling of time to allow us to duplicate any time response in the audio domain.

For instance, you could spend thousands on a Lexicon studio reverb unit, or you could locate someone's sampling of the Impulse Response of the real unit, dump that data into the convolutor and get the exact same sound, give or take.

Impulse Response can also be used to model expensive microphones (pass a track made with just about any mic through the convolutor with the IR file of a ten thousand dollar tube driven vintage Neumann condenser mic and your file will sound like it was recorded with that mic).

You can also locate files that yield the impulse response times of various concert halls, studios, even the outdoors.

I have one in particular (store bought, protected, sorry, it can't be shared because of protection scheme) but it can mimic the response of a 2" analog tape machine pretty nicely, great to pass guitar tracks through it for that old 70s sound of tape saturation.

For more information try googling Impulse Response, and also the free plugin for those who don't run MTS and have the builtin Convolutor, the plugin is called "SIR" .

Very handy way to emulate any time-derived effect, really.

Usually quite CPU intensive, don't expect to be able to use one in realtime.

--Mac