How do I change instruments?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Bernt

How do I change instruments?

Post by Bernt »

I have been looking for some easy program to use with my MIDI keyboard (Midiman), and am hoping that Multitrackstudio would be what I have been looking for. I started by downloading Lite. Now, my question. I have chosen Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth as MIDI output device. When I press the keyboard I here what usually is listed as Piano1 in sequencers. But what I don't understand is how I get access to all the other instruments of this synth. Can anyone help me?
Mac

Post by Mac »

microsoft Wavetable synth is a bad choice because it has an inordinate amount of latency to it, on the order of almost a half second on most machines. Press a key and wait to hear the note. Can't play or record like that. The reason for the latency is built in and can't be changed, this synth uses your CPU to generate each sound and that takes time. Works okay for playback of midi files in which the latency is not an issue, doesn't work for realtime recording.

But the good news is that MTS contains its own sampler, you can use that and you can load it with soundfonts, easily downloaded free on the web.

As for patch changes, you can send them from the keyboard if the keyboard has patch change buttons on it, or you can select the patches by Bank and Patch numbers inside MTS on the midi track you are recording to.

You need to learn a few things, like what a "GM" bank is, google and find a GM patch list to copy or print out, for that will tell you what patch numbers correspond to what instruments in the standard GM bank. There are other ways to do this, but the GM bank is the best starting point for learning, save the rogue banks and patches for later after you understand what is going on and can load and play a GM bank.

Welcome to the world of Midi, takes time and a bit of reading and study to use the tools, but take it a bit at a time, the journey is well worth it in the end.

--Mac
Bernt

Post by Bernt »

Thank you for yout answer, Mac. But I am somewhat confysed by it. I was not asking whether I can use the Microsoft synth or not, I have been using it for more than a year in connection with my present MIDI controller and the latency is nothing my ear can discover. So, my question concerned how to use it in MTS. The problem is that I do like some of the sounds in this synth, for instance, I have not been able to find any slow strings that are better than the ones in the Microsoft synth.

But, OK, I already have a set of sf2 fonts that came with my sound card. So, these I should be able to use? But, what you seem to be saying is that I have to select them by numbers, not by instruments? Why do they make these systems so difficult and non-intuitive?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Wow, if you can truly play a note with that microsoft synth and actually hear it anywhere near the same time as when you press a key on the keyboard, don't touch anything for you are perhaps the only one who can pull that off! I'm serious. It is listed as a ~430milliSecond delay by microsoft themselves. BTW, it is made from Roland Soundcanvas samples, so you could use a Roland/Edirol VSC or VSC DXi sampler and get the same sounds or better out of it. Way back when it came out I experimented and soon found how to insert my own soundfonts in place of the windows-provided samplebank, too, by first converting soundfont to DLS (DownLoadableSounds) format, which, typical of microsoft, was just their way of repackaging what is really a soundfont to begin with.

It outputs on Windows sound drivers, so perhaps that is the reason you can't hear it in MTS, try switching to MME or WDM drivers and see. That's all I can think of that would be causing you not to hear it.

Good Luck,

--Mac