How to add midi voices or use my keyboard's voice

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
MichaelEvans

How to add midi voices or use my keyboard's voice

Post by MichaelEvans »

Hello, I'm new to recording software and I have some questions about the voices.

I have been able to record midi tracks using the built-in intrument voices. But I don't like the piano voices that come included and I want to use some different ones. I really like the voices that come with my keyboard, and I figured out how to use external midi. But when I do so it says I can't mix down the track until I record it to an audio file. Does that mean I would need to capture it with a microphone? Because I'm sure that would reduce the quality so I was hoping for another way to record from my own library of voices. If I can't use the voices on my keyboard to record midi directly, is there a way to add my own voice packs? Like, if I downloaded the voice files of my device could I install them into MTS?

Thanks!

This software is awesome by the way, really easy for a beginner to figure out so far.
Saz

Re: How to add midi voices or use my keyboard's voice

Post by Saz »

MichaelEvans wrote:I really like the voices that come with my keyboard, and I figured out how to use external midi. But when I do so it says I can't mix down the track until I record it to an audio file. Does that mean I would need to capture it with a microphone?
No, it just means you need to convert/render your midi track to an audio track.

Right click on the midi track name and select "Save as", then "Save as type" - Wav Audio Files, name it and click Save. That should render your midi track to audio, using the sounds from your keyboard.

Welcome to MTS btw! The holidays are making the forum a bit slow, but I'm sure those with better midi knowledge will weigh-in soon.
MichaelEvans

Post by MichaelEvans »

Thanks Saz, but for some reason I don't have .wav in the save as menu. Only .mid or .mpt (midi pattern).

Do I have to have the "pro plus" version to convert my midi track to audio?
Support

Post by Support »

MichaelEvans wrote:But when I do so it says I can't mix down the track until I record it to an audio file. Does that mean I would need to capture it with a microphone? Because I'm sure that would reduce the quality so I was hoping for another way to record from my own library of voices.
You should connect the keyboard's audio output to the computer's audio input.
Please see http://www.multitrackstudio.com/midimixdown.php

Giel Bremmers
Saz

Post by Saz »

MichaelEvans wrote:...for some reason I don't have .wav in the save as menu. Only .mid or .mpt (midi pattern).
My bad - that's what happens when you assume something. I don't have/use any hardware synths - only software. I just assumed the convert/render process would be the same.

Thanks Giel for setting it straight.

I'll just stick to audio. :D
MichaelEvans

Post by MichaelEvans »

Support wrote:
MichaelEvans wrote:But when I do so it says I can't mix down the track until I record it to an audio file. Does that mean I would need to capture it with a microphone? Because I'm sure that would reduce the quality so I was hoping for another way to record from my own library of voices.
You should connect the keyboard's audio output to the computer's audio input.
Please see http://www.multitrackstudio.com/midimixdown.php

Giel Bremmers

Awesome, thanks for the help :)