Ok, next newbie question...

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Beagle

Ok, next newbie question...

Post by Beagle »

My CPU is nearly PEGGED out when running MTS. It hasn't been a real PROBLEM yet, but I suspect it will be whenever I start adding multiple tracks and FX.

I look at the CPU % without MTS running and it's only 6-8%, when I run MTS it jumps up to 75-85%! And stays there as long as MTS is open, not even DOING anything!

Is this normal?
Mac

Post by Mac »

First thing I'd try is to search out and download another resource meter, the Windoze CPU usage thang isn't always telling the whole truth it seems.

You could also have something in your setup that is runnin' roudn in circles when it shouldn't be, too.

The old "isolate and conquer" and "KISS" can really help find out here.

Kill all unecessary background programs, also set the thing up for recording work, which can be important. One instance I've seen where the CPU ran high had nothing at all to do with the recording program, turned out the guy was pulling the network cable but the network card he was using was still running, it was polling constantly for a network which was not answering...

Have you been to the magic MusicXP DAW Teaking page?

http://www.musicxp.net/

Very good idea to go through all of that first, then set up a hardware profile for just recording where you disable hardware stuff that isn't involved with recording process.

Takes time to set up one of these things for DAW work, the good news is that with MTS it should be a lot easier to get going than for many other recording softwares I've dealt with.

--Mac
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Have you been to the magic MusicXP DAW Teaking page?

http://www.musicxp.net/
Mac,
First I have not been to the tweaking page, I didn't know about it. I'm not only a newbie at MTS, but I'm a newbie at home recording as well.

I will check that out!

Second, the Win CPU meter and the CPU Usage listed in the Layout of MTS ([Studio]/[Layout]/[CPU Usage]) give approximately the same numbers. I discovered that when I disconnected the USB Sound card that the CPU usage went down quite a bit, but it's still pretty high (25%-40%).

I've shut down a lot of Mem Res programs, but some of them won't go away just by clicking on them. I'll check out the musicxp site to see what I can do there and then see how much the meter moves.

thanks again!