very low volume on CD's burnt from Lite Wav files

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Old Folklore

very low volume on CD's burnt from Lite Wav files

Post by Old Folklore »

I have the "Lite" version - I like it very much for the limited recording I do (guitar and occassionally vocal). My concern is that the final burnt CD's require nearly max volume from playback equipment to be heard. I use a "Snowball" mic. I have adjusted the recording input as high as possible, then up'ed the playback volume in Multitrack and then saved it. It would seem thru my headphones listening to the Wav file that the volume is not great but ok. But when I burn it thru Windows Media the CD requires nearly max volume to be heard at a decent level. Can you help me solve this issue?
Saz

Re: very low volume on CD's burnt from Lite Wav files

Post by Saz »

It sounds like you're not getting enough level from your mic to begin with.

What model of mic are you using?

How are you hooking up the mic to your computer?

What level shows on the meters in MTS when you record?
Old Folklore

Post by Old Folklore »

The mic is a Blue Snowball condenser mic, hooked up thru a USB port on my laptop.

The recording levels are usually between -20 and -7........ and that's with the "input" level nearly maxed and the microphone within 3-4 inches of the guitar. If I try to get the input any stronger, the recording sounds slappy, like the mic is being overdriven..............

SO I've been trying to record at a lower level and wuite so close to the mic, hoping for a way to boost it afterwards.

Maybe I need a better mic..............
Saz

Post by Saz »

Your recording levels look good, but maxing the input fader and playing so close to the mic to get there is not good.

A few things to check if you haven't already...

The -10db pad on the mic is not engaged. Use switch position 1 or 3.

You're plugged into a dedicated USB port - not a Hub. Try different ports if you're unsure.

Make sure the level for the mic is high enough in the Control Panel 'Sound' applet on the 'Recording' tab.
Old Folklore

Post by Old Folklore »

Thanks for all your help and thoughts. So far no change.

"Input fader"? can you be more specific? I meant that the input microphone recording level in the "input" button is positioned nearly all the way to the right, to the max. Is this what you are saying "Make sure the level for the mic is high enough in the Control Panel 'Sound' applet on the 'Recording' tab"? I have that nearly maxed. Just making sure we are saying the same thing.

Yes, I use the Blue Snowball mic position 1 or 3, usually 1.

Yes, plugged into dedicated USB port. I've tried different ports with the same result. Currently using the port right next to the RCA mic input port.

Also, my playing style is very soft and quiet and light. But even when I heavy strumm, when I get the recording level well up into the yellow and even the red, I can't seem to get reasonable CD burnt playback volume.

Should some sort of editor to boost the volume been needed?
Saz

Post by Saz »

Yeah, the 'input fader' I was referring to is the track/channel one in the MTS GUI.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. It could be an issue with the mic/cable itself. Or the CD writing software.

But first...

Have you tried the 'Master Limiter'? You can use it to boost volume. I'm assuming it's available in the Lite version. Check here for info... http://www.multitrackstudio.com/h.php?page=limiter.php That may be all you need.
Old Folklore

Post by Old Folklore »

Thanks for all your help, Saz. But so far no luck.

It would seem that the lite version does not have "Master Limiter" unfortunately - it does not show up in the list of "effects".

I've been suspecting the Windows Media Player that I've used to burn my cd's. The volume seems mostly ok as I listen to my wav recordings thru my headphones when I "play" in MTS - and also when just before burning I play thru WMP. I had never tried playing my cd's back thru WMP, so I tried this morning - nothing ! ! ! no sound and does not play - just a symbol for "error" for each track tried. Also same error and no playback when I tried a commercial CD (Willie Nelson). So, something is up with WMP. Maybe all related. Also, Cyberlink Power DVD can't play any of it either - no message. I'm going to take my laptop to a techie to see what's up, if anything.

Cable possible - more likely the writing software. I was also thinking about a mic pre-amp... What do you think?

Thanks again for all your effort.
Saz

Post by Saz »

Happy to try to help - just hope we can nail the problem. :)

With the new evidence, it's sounding more and more like your CD/DVD hardware now. If you can't play commercial CD's or DVD's, it's possible all the problems you've been describing are the result of just a dirty laser lens or worst-case, hardware gone/going bad.

Before going to a tech, you might give this a try... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mat ... e_problems

As far as a preamp, if things were working OK before - I'd wait. If you're recording at -20 to -7 db, that's where things should be - that's ideal. You can always increase the signal level to where you want after recording. Here's a free Limiter you can use as the last thing on your Master Buss... http://loudmax.blogspot.com/
Old Folklore

Post by Old Folklore »

Latest news - I had to go by the techie's place this afternnon so I dropped in with the laptop. Fired it up and it played cd's with no problem! Got it home and it plays cd's, mine and commercial, just fine. Not a lot of volume, but ok. Seems like classic Microsoft reboot solution.

Still does not directly address the low volume in the burnt cd's.

Since day-one my recordings thru the Blue Snowball condenser mic USB plugin burnt to cd's have required a cd player volume over an "8" to be heard and a "9" to be ok (on a scale of 1-10), and I need to be real close to the mic, which is awkward and disconcerting. Real loud can't happen - my cd's must be played by themselves, not compatible with other cd's volumes. So things have been working unsatisfactorily right along.
So still thinking of a mic pre-amp.........................

I do try to record at the -20 to -7 db range, but that requires me to nearly max out the input level (92 to 100%). Then before I save the mixed down wav file I push the play level to max so it gets saved at that higher volume. But that still leaves me with my lack of volume on my burnt cd's.

Been a long day - but tomorrow I will look into the microsoft support and the limiter links you recommend - thanks for all your help
Old Folklore

Post by Old Folklore »

So, I downloaded the Loudmax free limiter. How do I use it? I mean, it is a zip file, and when I look inside all I see is a .dll file. So how do I make use of it?
I guess I'm not terribly good at all this.........................and maybe a bit frustrated.
Still thinking of a mic pre-amp............
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

unzip the folder into C>Programs Files>MtStudio>VSTplugins . Restart MTS and it will be in your effects
Saz

Post by Saz »

What André said, plus...

Nobody knows, until they learn.

Loudmax is a VST plugin.

From Wikipedia - Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is a software interface that integrates software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with audio editors and recording systems. VST and similar technologies use digital signal processing to simulate traditional recording studio hardware in software. Thousands of plugins exist, both commercial and freeware, and a large number of audio applications support VST under license from its creator, Steinberg.

From MTS help file - VST plugins are third party plugins. Many commercial and free plugins are available in this format. VST plugins are .dll files. In the Studio menu's Preferences window a folder can be selected where the VST plugins are located. MultitrackStudio looks for VST plugins in this folder and its subfolders.

VST plugins can be loaded in an effect slot using the slot's down arrow. The VST plugins appear in the effect selector's "VST Plugins" section.

Plugins that supply a graphical user interface will be shown in a window with Bypass and Presets buttons. Plugins that do not have their own user interface will be made to look like native MultitrackStudio effects.

Use Loudmax as the last effect(typical use) in the Master Channel. You can get the volume you're looking for with it.
Old Folklore

Post by Old Folklore »

Thank you, André - makes perfect now. I had been looking for an .exec file as I thought LoudMax would run outside of MTS, and wondered how all that would work.

And Sax, with your indepth explanation for a muttonhead like me, it is all now so very clear. I am reminded of a very technical and also unrefined lady I used to work with who would always respond to seemingly obvious questions with "RTFM", that is, "read the f#*king manual" ! ! ! And you are also correct that "nobody knows, until they learn" - much of the terminology in the recording world is only now becoming familiar to me.

In a few days I will be experimenting with this limiter - looks like it'll work. Still, curious why I need one at all, why my volume is not adequate right out of the MTS box......

Again, thanks to you both.

Aimé
Saz

Post by Saz »

Old Folklore wrote:In a few days I will be experimenting with this limiter - looks like it'll work. Still, curious why I need one at all, why my volume is not adequate right out of the MTS box......
It could be a number of things, but I can almost assure you it's not MTS - unless you got a bad install.

Having said that, it's not at all unusual to use a Limiter to get the volume up on a mix. In fact, it's pretty much standard practice - especially in the digital world where you don't want to go near 0 db when you're recording.

You might try Googling "Blue Snowball" + "Low Volume" and see if anyone else is having the same issue.
K-N-M

Post by K-N-M »

I forget what the Lite version can and can’t do as it has been quite a while since using it.

Does it have the “normalize” option in the track editor?

Might be a quick way to boost the tracks individually after recording if they are low and quality isn’t a huge deal; note that it can compromise quality, however, can’t hurt to try. Maybe not the ideal way, but if the Lite version supports it give it a shot. Just “select all” in the desired track, click edit, then select normalize.

This may not be an option in the Lite version however.

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/audioedit.php

Are you certain you have went into the Snowball’s control panel and tweaked all settings? Not familiar with that MIC, but does it have optional drivers to install if needed? I have a cheap M-AUDIO Producer USB MIC that can get very loud if needed so I suspect the Snowball should be able to do the same. Perhaps a defective microphone?

Commercial CD's are likely going to be maxed out by the pro's, so you may need to mix / master a bit to get near those levels. I wouldn't expect basic recordings to get there right off the bat, but you should be able to get the levels suitable with a little work.