very low volume on CD's burnt from Lite Wav files

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Old Folklore

Re: very low volume on CD's burnt from Lite Wav files

Post by Old Folklore »

Hey Sax, André, K-N-M - thanks for all the help !

LoudMax works very well for my simple one track guitar recordings, and it is very easy and forgiving (won't let me go past -0) for this muttonhead. A good editor/limiter. thanks.

A year or so ago I suspected the Blue Snowball had limitation and flaws, as I couldn't get clean sounding recordings, but rather recordings that made me sound even worse than I actually am, with some clipping and micro-second delays. So I backed away a bit from the mic to correct this a bit, and the volume dropped (I have to say it was always low volume, but it got much worse). So I've been suspecting the Blue Snowball. I had been in contact with Blue, but they thought all was ok. So as Sax suggested I googled "Blue Snowball low volume" and found this:

Solution found though I do not pretend to understand why it worked. Solution found on windows 7 64-bit professional not sure if it will work elsewhere

1. click start and right click on computer
2. click manage
3. select device manager
4. expand the - sound, video and game controllers - tab
5. locate - USB Audio Class 1.0 and 2.0 DAC Device Driver
6. unplug the microphone - tested with Blue snowball may work with other usb audio devices
7. right click the driver and select uninstall
8. do not select Delete the driver software for this device, if it is already selected de-select it
9. click ok
10. wait 30 seconds to be sure
11. plug the mic back in

if this operation has succeeded the driver should reappear restart the computer and test your audio levels, windows utilities will still report the same pickup levels and you may need to set the gain to 100 again in the sound options however you should get about twice the mic volume in recording applications. I got this solution from Blue themselves a while back and have used it to great success on about 5 windows installs to date, something about the driver dosn't like its first install on any computer.

I will give it a try sometime soon.

And, as has been suggested, there does seem to be something amiss with my Windows Media Player, as Windows troubleshooting site wants to reconfigure it, that it is corrupted. Another thing for a later date.

From what I can tell, "normalize" is not part of the Lite version. If I were not so cheap, and if I wanted to do anything more than just record some guitar work and ocassionally record a guitar track and lay another track (guitar or vocals) over it, I'd spring the full MTS version.........

I will look into Snowball's control panel, if I can locate it. All I know about is the three position settings on the back of the mic.

So, thanks all again. If I come up with anything of value, I'll post.