Exporting MIDI files

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Bellbuoy

Exporting MIDI files

Post by Bellbuoy »

I'm trying to use Multitrack Studio to adjust the audio levels on various tracks in prerecorded MIDI files of organ music. I want to reduce the level in all tracks except the melody track to make the music easier to sing to. The Export MIDI tracks seems to work OK, but when I open the file again all the levels are back to maximum again. How do I get the levels to stay where I set them?
I don't want to save the file as an audio because it will be used with a digital piano as output.
Thanks for your help. :?:
rsrockinron

Re: Exporting MIDI files

Post by rsrockinron »

See if this works. Go to the midi track that you want to adjust. Open the editor. On the lower right hand side select Controler (contr). Note Velocity should be open. If not click view and select it. Now on the left side use the pencil looking thing you can raise or lower the velocity of the part. This controls volume. This is the way I do it but if anyone else has other methods I am willing to try them too
Bellbuoy

Post by Bellbuoy »

rsrockinron wrote:See if this works. Go to the midi track that you want to adjust. Open the editor. On the lower right hand side select Controler (contr). Note Velocity should be open. If not click view and select it. Now on the left side use the pencil looking thing you can raise or lower the velocity of the part. This controls volume. This is the way I do it but if anyone else has other methods I am willing to try them too
:) Thanks very much for such a speedy reply. I will check it out tonight (I'm on Australian time) and report back.
Peter
Bellbuoy

Post by Bellbuoy »

Bellbuoy wrote:
rsrockinron wrote:See if this works. Go to the midi track that you want to adjust. Open the editor. On the lower right hand side select Controler (contr). Note Velocity should be open. If not click view and select it. Now on the left side use the pencil looking thing you can raise or lower the velocity of the part. This controls volume. This is the way I do it but if anyone else has other methods I am willing to try them too
I think we are getting somewhere now.
After opening the Editor, the buttons to click on (in my version) are SEL ALL (select all), then EDIT on the horizontal bar. This opens the Edit Control box where you can adjust volume with a slider and click Apply. Not exactly what you would call an intuitive user interface......
Thanks again for your help.:D
Support

Post by Support »

Bellbuoy wrote:I'm trying to use Multitrack Studio to adjust the audio levels on various tracks in prerecorded MIDI files of organ music. I want to reduce the level in all tracks except the melody track to make the music easier to sing to. The Export MIDI tracks seems to work OK, but when I open the file again all the levels are back to maximum again. How do I get the levels to stay where I set them?
That best way to do that would be to edit the Volume MIDI controller using the controller editor (see http://www.multitrackstudio.com/controllereditor.php).

Giel Bremmers
Bellbuoy

Post by Bellbuoy »

Support wrote:
Bellbuoy wrote:I'm trying to use Multitrack Studio to adjust the audio levels on various tracks in prerecorded MIDI files of organ music. I want to reduce the level in all tracks except the melody track to make the music easier to sing to. The Export MIDI tracks seems to work OK, but when I open the file again all the levels are back to maximum again. How do I get the levels to stay where I set them?
That best way to do that would be to edit the Volume MIDI controller using the controller editor (see http://www.multitrackstudio.com/controllereditor.php).

Giel Bremmers
:) Thanks for that info Giel. I managed to find my way into the Controller Editor and used the SEL ALL button to adjust the overall volume on each track. I'm very new to all this so I was pleased to get the result I wanted. The function of the volume sliders on the Track Editor is a bit confusing to me. Are these settings saved or can the volume only be changed permanently via the Controller Editor?
Another MIDI player I use opens up with the volume sliders in different positions but I think Multitrack Studio has them all set near maximum when opening a saved file. :?

On another matter, is it possible to download the manual as a single file to make it easier to access offline, or print out? :?: Many thanks.
Support

Post by Support »

Bellbuoy wrote:The function of the volume sliders on the Track Editor is a bit confusing to me. Are these settings saved or can the volume only be changed permanently via the Controller Editor?
Another MIDI player I use opens up with the volume sliders in different positions but I think Multitrack Studio has them all set near maximum when opening a saved file.
MultitrackStudio isn't just an editor, it's a mixer etc. as well. The track faders are part of the mixer, so their settings isn't stored in the MIDI files. As a rule of thumb, only things you can see in the track editors are stored in MIDI files.
Bellbuoy wrote:On another matter, is it possible to download the manual as a single file to make it easier to access offline, or print out? :?: Many thanks.
It's here: http://www.multitrackstudio.com/downloadmanual.php

Giel Bremmers