latency with plugins

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
HostDad

latency with plugins

Post by HostDad »

I'm mixing down some final cuts. I've notice with the addition of plugins, there is increased latency. It's particularly noticeable with the vocals. This is present in the playback mode and fully mixed down versions. My setup is 64-bit Windows 7, AMD A6-3620 2.20 GHz, 8GB memory. MTS shows CPU usage at 6-15%. Task Manager shows about the same with only about 3.2 GB used. There's not much running in the background other than virus protection. Is there a switch or track setting that can be applied or an adjustment made to handle this without sliding tracks forward/backwards?

Thank you,
Rick
Dijon

Re: latency with plugins

Post by Dijon »

Some processors have a look-ahead time (like compressors and limiters) that introduce latency. Basically, if you are using effects in mixing that are typically used for the mastering stage (Ozone and some convolution reverbs come to mind), then there's your answer.
Support

Post by Support »

MultitrackStudio features automatic plugin delay compensation since version 7.1. Which version do you have?

Giel Bremmers
HostDad

Post by HostDad »

I'm using Pro 8.0. I'm using mostly MTS effects. I am using several effects returns, mostly on vocals to add parallel compression to the vocal tracks. Master track is only using MTS Automated Fader to clean the beginning and end of track, MTS Compressor to tame it slightly, and MTS Limiter to stop clipping. I use a few different compressors because of the different flavors they give the vocals. MTS Reverb, Classic Delay, MTS EQ, MTS Desser, and MTS Noise Gate is also used on the vocals. That's about it.
Support

Post by Support »

You can try to isolate the problem by bypassing some effects.

First, I'd try bypassing the Noise Gates. They may cut off the beginning of vocal parts, which can make you think the vocals are delayed.

Second, I'd try bypassing the VST compressors.

Giel Bremmers
HostDad

Post by HostDad »

I have the gate setting very lose only catching the small stuff. I use the automated fader to catch most things. I did mute the parallel compression effects returns (3). That seemed to make a difference. I wound up just shifting the vocals a few ms to get them back on beat. I like using parallel compression. It seems to make the vocals pop a little more and sit in the mix a little better. I'll just be aware of the consequences and adjust accordingly. I guess I'm going to have to go for more horse power. :) Thanks.