Two VSTs communication over MIDI?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
dea

Two VSTs communication over MIDI?

Post by dea »

Is it possible to have a VST sequencer drive a VST synth from within MultitrackStudio? Being I'm not that experienced in this area, I would imagine the output midi channel from the sequencer would go into the VST Synth's MIDI input channel. I know, I'm sure I have grotesquely simplified this.
dea

Re: Two VSTs communication over MIDI?

Post by dea »

I'm sorry. I found a forum discussion that covers this. Link is below. I'm going to read this further and try to figure it out.

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/forum/v ... ling+synth

I believe the above discussion covers is nearly identical to what I'm trying to do except I was not thinking about the recording side of it. I just want to setup a pattern in B-Step, and then playing it would drive another VST synth, or guitar instrument, etc.

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish in more detail...

I purchased B-Step 2; A software step sequencer.
I'd like to use that within MTS to control a synth.
The bullet item containing "???" is the area I'm muddy about.

My first attempt was doing the following:
* Setup a MIDI track with B-Step as the instrument.
* Setup another MIDI track with a synth as the instrument.
* B-Step always outputs commands on MIDI channel 1.
* ??? And here is where I have lost focus based on info regarding virtual midi ports, etc. Do I need to create virtual ports to get the two VSTs to talk?
* Setup synth MIDI input channel to be 1.

Long Live MultitrackStudio!!!!
Support

Post by Support »

The manual touches on this subject with two cryptic sentences: :mrgreen:

"Some plugins generate MIDI data. This MIDI output is merged with the data coming from MIDI input devices if the plugin is in a recording audio track and Soft Monitoring is enabled."

This feature is intended for playing guitar using an audio-to-MIDI plugin. You can use it for your sequencer plugin too:

- Add an audio track, and load B Step 2 in one of the effect slots.
- Add a MIDI track.
- Engage to 'Mon' button (at the top of the screen).
- Engage both Rec buttons.
- Start transport.

Now the MIDI track records B Step 2 (and you can hear it of course).

Giel Bremmers
dea

Post by dea »

So what I end up with is a piano roll with Midi commands that I can now setup to play with a synth? This is completely ample since I can design the pattern up front, and then essentially dump it into a piano roll.

As a side question, is it possible to have B-Step controlling a synth so that I can actually perform the pattern design iterations from within MTS? My first thought at solving this was that three tracks were needed; B-Step on one track, driving synth on another, then another MIDI and/or audio track recording the output. Right now, I just use B-Step standalone, and load a Synth into the free VSTHost. I hook them up via the LoopBe virtual midi.

Shouldn't I be able to just setup B-Step MIDI out to 1, and the recieving synth's MIDI input to 1? Maybe, I'm too much a simpleton?

Thanks so much for your input!!!

Long Live MultitrackStudio!!!!
dea

Post by dea »

Just letting you know this worked. After adding the MIDI track, the grand piano was the default. During record, I did hear the piano playing and the piano roll is populated with the sequence.

YEEHAW!!!!! This is awesome!!!

I'm going to write up these instructions while including pictures etc. and post it on the B-Step site. They have setup instructions for a lot of the main DAWs out there, but they need one for MTS.

Should I run it past you or the forum admin first?

Thanks!!
Support

Post by Support »

dea wrote:Should I run it past you or the forum admin first?
No, I fully trust you.

Giel Bremmers
dea

Post by dea »

These are the instructions I put together to post onto the B-Step site. I have pics, but will not include them here. Thanks so much for the help I'm sure the B-Step forum will appreciate these instructions.

B-Step 2 Integration into MultitrackStudio.

These instructions will show one how to integrate and record B-Step sequences from within in MultitrackStudio.

The beauty of working with B-Step within MultitrackStudio is that you don’t need to install a third party virtual midi cable connection manager. It just works as simple as pie.

1. Create a new MultitrackStudio song and name is appropriately. I called it BStep Instructions.

2. Add an *audio track* – using the “Add Track” menu button, and name it appropriately. I called it BStep.

3. Now add a MIDI track and name it appropriately. I called it Synth since B-Step is not a synth, nor is capable of producing audio on it’s own.

4. Now add B-Step to the instrument slot. The red circle in the pic below indicates the location of the Instrument slot in MultitrackStudio.

Once B-Step is selected, you should see the Instrument slot populated with the name “VST” indicating something has been loaded. Selecting the VST instrument slot with your mouse will bring up B-Step user interface; a good sanity check that things are setup for the B-Step track correctly.

We now have two tracks; B-Step and Synth. The Synth track’s Instrument is already populated with a Grand Piano. At this point, the default is aok since our goal for this set of instructions is to simply integrate B-Step into MultitrackStudio so B-Step can be used as a composition tool – and recorded – completely from within MultitrackStudio.

From here we will setup MultitracStudio to actually record B-Step’s sequence into the piano roll, while also being able to hear what the assigned Instrument is producing.

5. Now select MultitrackStudio Monitor button on the main menu. See red circle in pic below for Monitor button.

6. Now engage record on both tracks. See red circle in pic below for location of two Record buttons.

7. Start the transport button, and assuming B-Step contains a sequence, it’ll be recorded into the Instrument slot as in the pic below. As your recording, you will hear the Instrument sounds sequenced by B-Step and played by the Instrument selected in the MIDI track; our Synth track.

I’ve included pics of B-Step, illustrating it is populated by a sequence, and that sequence matches up with what was recorded in the Instrument track.

And there you have it. A wonderful compositional tool that can be used exclusively from with MultitrackStudio.
dea

Post by dea »

Thanks. Will post.