iMac builtin output settings

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
steve64

iMac builtin output settings

Post by steve64 »

I have a Scarlett 2i2 audio I/F, but today I tried my iMac builtin headphone output.
What's not clear is which are the allowed settings when using MTS (Standard).
The iMac out supports 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz sampling rate and 16/20/24/32fp sample widths.

With MTS only 44.1 kHz is working while all sample widths are accepted.
I would expect at least 48 kHz working.

Concerning sample widths, the 16-bit sound appears slightly better than the other.
Giel, what's your viewpoint ?
Any other user has tried a similar scenario ?
Support

Re: iMac builtin output settings

Post by Support »

steve64 wrote:With MTS only 44.1 kHz is working while all sample widths are accepted.
I would expect at least 48 kHz working.
How exactly does it fail to work?

Giel Bremmers
steve64

Post by steve64 »

If I set 48K or any higher rate in the OSX "Audio MIDI Setup" window, when I start playback on MTS
the rate in the same application is automatically forced back to 44.1 kHz.

I'm also interested to know about the second point = even at 44.1 kHz, are there really
perceptible differences (on iMac, with headphones) between the various sample widths ?
What is MTS doing for each of the widths (16, 20, 24, 32fp) since internally it uses 32-bit fixed point ?
Support

Post by Support »

You need to change the song's samplerate. Click Song --> Properties, then pick 48 kHz.

AFAIK the settings in Audio MIDI Setup have no effect at all as far as MultitrackStudio is concerned.

Giel Bremmers
steve64

Post by steve64 »

Thanks Giel, I just missed the Song rate option. Now MTS and Audio/MIDI Setup are synchronized
and changing the rate from MTS also changes it on the other side.

The sample width on Audio Setup side is not touched by MTS, it remains what set originally.
I still have the impression that changing the sample width on Audio Setup side leads to
a slightly different sound. Anyway, since you say that MTS has no influence on that, this is probably
something done by the OSX driver.