MultitrackStudio User Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:03 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:43 pm
Posts: 7
Hi folks. I am a 71 year old amateur home recording doodlist and for years I was happy using soundfonts with my Multitrack Studio. However, my old pc finally packed up and I got a new pc just this weekend past. The soundcard is a soundblaster z. Great, I thought, no problems there. I was wrong. The card doesn't support soundfonts and now I am stuck. I normally use strings, piano and brass and maybe the occasional woodwind to embellish my humble songs. I read about VST instruments so I bought a strings VSt in a sale that sounds fantastic and even though I can play it and hear it, I just can't record it, so I downloaded a free VSt drumkit just to try. Again, I can hear everything I play but it just won't record. Could anyone suggest a good softsynth that would be a good sounding replacement for a soundfont bank? I just want to be able to pick a sound and record it. I have spent the last three days trying everything so I thought I would ask your good selves. I don't need anything fancy, just something that sounds a bit better than the bog standard 128 sound bank. Thank you for your time. Gerry.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:01 pm
Posts: 524
Location: Germany
Hi Gerry,
I'm sure there is a workround and someone will chime in with it soon. In the meantime try the free sforzando (https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/) It plays soundfonts and sounds ok on its own.

Chris


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 1115
gerryhatrick wrote:
I read about VST instruments so I bought a strings VSt in a sale that sounds fantastic and even though I can play it and hear it, I just can't record it, so I downloaded a free VSt drumkit just to try. Again, I can hear everything I play but it just won't record.

Do you 'play' it using a MIDI keyboard? What is the problem with recording?


Giel Bremmers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:43 pm
Posts: 7
Hello gentlemen and thank you for your replies. After another almost full day of tweaking and reading up, I downloaded a file that kept cropping up called asio4all and I have to say it did the trick. I can play and record now through my midi keyboard. I just purchased M-Tron Pro for a lot of the "old fashioned" sounds and i must say, it sounds gloriously better than soundfonts. Thanks again folks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 1115
Are you using Windows XP? Asio4All shouldn't be necessary with newer Windows versions. But if it works, it works: don't change anything ;-)


Giel Bremmers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:54 pm
Posts: 8
Hello,
think the TTS-1 Sound Modul from Sonar would be a perfect companion for MTS. The Sound of imported Midifiles is instantly satisfying, at least as a starting point.
Should be intrgrated in MTS, I would pay extra for this. Or ist it possible to make this modul to work somehow also by a workaround. As a dxi maybe ist possible. I´ve tried, but without success.

Greetings, ..... ht


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:17 pm
Posts: 1115
Helmut Tinnefeld wrote:
As a dxi maybe ist possible. I´ve tried, but without success.

32 bits MTS still supports DXi: http://www.multitrackstudio.com/dxi.php
Is that what you tried?


Giel Bremmers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:54 pm
Posts: 8
I´´ve tried again and now it seems to work. Had a 5-channel midifile. One for the drums, guitar, organ,piano, bass. The drums were recognized ok, the other instruments were all piano. But I could change this in tts-1 and now it sounds amazing, compared to the normal midi Sound. Think the mistake was in the missing link to the Content Directory. Would be nice, if the Instruments would be recognized directly correct. Should be the standard sound modul in MTS. Good sounds out of the box.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Best Softsynth
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Vancouver
gerryhatrick wrote:
Hi folks. I am a 71 year old amateur home recording doodlist and for years I was happy using soundfonts with my Multitrack Studio. However, my old pc finally packed up and I got a new pc just this weekend past. The soundcard is a soundblaster z. Great, I thought, no problems there. I was wrong. The card doesn't support soundfonts and now I am stuck. I normally use strings, piano and brass and maybe the occasional woodwind to embellish my humble songs. I read about VST instruments so I bought a strings VSt in a sale that sounds fantastic and even though I can play it and hear it, I just can't record it, so I downloaded a free VSt drumkit just to try. Again, I can hear everything I play but it just won't record. Could anyone suggest a good softsynth that would be a good sounding replacement for a soundfont bank? I just want to be able to pick a sound and record it. I have spent the last three days trying everything so I thought I would ask your good selves. I don't need anything fancy, just something that sounds a bit better than the bog standard 128 sound bank. Thank you for your time. Gerry.


As Gail mentioned, get a MIDI Controller. Akai makes some super affordable ones. Amazon can hook you up.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group