Help getting started please!

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
JoeyC

Help getting started please!

Post by JoeyC »

I’m a total newbie so please bear with me. Using a PC with a Focusrite interface. I had Ableton but realized it is more for DJs and not live recording. Installed Multitrackstudio free version. I can’t get a signal from the Focusrite so I can record. I know it’s something simple...

Using a keyboard into the Focusrite into PC via USB.

THANK YOU!
moxol

Re: Help getting started please!

Post by moxol »

Click Studio->Devices->Select devices then choose Audio In and MIDI in Device.
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

Yes. And I have my Focusrite set up w USB IN. I select it as my audio source and I can hear my keyboard on the phones (plugged into Focusrite interface) but no signal is going into PC. I have closed Abelton and restarted my computer. Nothing..,
Support

Post by Support »

Are you trying to record the keyboard as MIDI or as audio?

Giel Bremmers
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

Audio-thru the interface. Multitrack doesn’t get a signal from interface.
Support

Post by Support »

Perhaps you're not recording the channel(s) you've connected the keyboard to?
In MultitrackStudio you can click the small arrow next to the track's Rec button to pick an input channel.

Giel Bremmers
K-N-M

Post by K-N-M »

Which model Focusrite are you using?

Which input(s) on it are you using?

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 every day and it works well. In the past I've also used a 2i2, 2i4, Saffire 6 and an iTrack Solo.

My 8i6 came with a lite version of Ableton, but I didn't like that DAW at all, although many use it with great results (mind you I had already used MultitrackStudio for years). MultitrackStudio is much easier to record audio / MIDI in (my opinion), yet still very powerful.
moxol

Post by moxol »

K-N-M wrote:Which model Focusrite are you using?

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 every day and it works well. In the past I've also used a 2i2, 2i4, Saffire 6 and an iTrack Solo.

My 8i6 came with a lite version of Ableton, but I didn't like that DAW at all, although many use it with great results (mind you I had already used MultitrackStudio for years). MultitrackStudio is much easier to record audio / MIDI in (my opinion), yet still very powerful.
I agree, I have tried many MIDI recording software, both free and paid, and I found that MTStudio is great, its fast and easy to use. Many DAW have become so complex, that you need to have course before using it.
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

Yamaha Keys >1/4 inch> Focusrite Scarlett Solo > USB cable > PC

Issue seems to be the MTS does NOT get a signal...from any source. Abelton gets a signal...
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

Getting beyond frustrated. I have someone coming over to take a look. I've even tried different "outs" from the keys - R, L Mono, and even headphone out into the Focusrite....
K-N-M

Post by K-N-M »

Ok, I'll try to not leave anything out, but forgive me if I miss a step, trying to do this quickly. I presume you have the correct Focusrite driver installed for whichever generation Scarlett Solo you are using.

Look over these screenshots and see if you have it setup like this. Note that your driver may not be called Focusrite USB 2.0, mine is for my interface.

In the Studio tab, click on Devices.

Select ASIO as the driver type (I do not recall if ASIO needs installed separately or not, but we can figure that out if so)

After selecting ASIO, click on "Select Devices". Once that window opens, under "Audio Devices" select your Focusrite driver which will be something like "Focusrite Solo USB 2.0 Driver". It seems they have a few generations of the Scarlett SOLO, so I don't know which specific driver it will use, nonetheless, it will be something of the sort.

After that your interface should be ready, should be able to record and hear playback audio.

To set a track to record "audio" from a keyboard:

Click Add Track button, then select "Audio Track".
Now in "Track 1", click the "Rec" button, it should turn red.
Next click the smaller arrow on the right side of the "Rec" button to open the input selector drop down menu. Now click on the second input, which may be listed as "Line 1", Line 2, MIC 2, etc. I'm not sure what it will be on the Scarlett Solo, but the front panel shows that 1/4" input as number 2 input.

Note, while doing these steps, make sure your keyboard is plugged into the 1/4" input, and press keys while watching the bar graph meter in MultitrackStudio. Also take note that if you're pressing keys on the keyboard, you can see which input is active in the "drop down list " next to the record button, then you can visually see what input is active and receiving signal.

You can see the meters going in this photo to show it is getting an input signal, on mine it is on 5: Loop 1 (5) input. The green bar shows that particular input is receiving a signal. Your Scarlett SOLO should have less inputs than my 8i6 shown here, but otherwise should function the same.

Don't forget to click on the MON button to hear what you're playing out of your monitor speakers that may be connected to the Scarlett SOLO's line outputs, of course there will be some latency here. Using the Direct monitor function on your interface can make this easier to deal with.

Hopefully I didn't mess up on any of that, but perhaps will move you in the right direction. The Scarlett SOLO should work perfectly fine in MTS! I've played with a ton of different interfaces, and never had any issues.
K-N-M

Post by K-N-M »

moxol wrote:
K-N-M wrote:Which model Focusrite are you using?

I agree, I have tried many MIDI recording software, both free and paid, and I found that MTStudio is great, its fast and easy to use. Many DAW have become so complex, that you need to have course before using it.
Yes very quick and easy to get straight to recording audio / MIDI. I do mostly MIDI these days myself, but do track audio from time to time. It is unfortunate the OP is having a hard time getting his interface working right, but otherwise MTS is very easy to use.

I too have tested several other DAW's, many are so cluttered with stuff I find they hinder my creativity / workflow. FL Studio for example, I liked for MIDI and has some cool features, it is kind of cluttered and has a lot going on, so I still come back to MTS as it is hard to beat. MTS also looks rather basic of a program, but it is still quite powerful along side most other DAW's. That said, there is certainly still room for improvement in MTS, but really is great overall. I've been using it since 2005 / 2006, and have had the PRO version for a number of years, well worth the money in my opinion.
amacca

Post by amacca »

I just got a Focusite Scarlett Solo today and trying to hook it up to the DAW but I'm getting nothing. I've got into the studio and picked it as a device, I can see the scarlett is picking up the guitar signal as it flashes when I okay guitar but I'm getting nothing in the multitrack
Saz

Post by Saz »

amacca wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:13 pm I just got a Focusite Scarlett Solo today and trying to hook it up to the DAW but I'm getting nothing. I've got into the studio and picked it as a device, I can see the scarlett is picking up the guitar signal as it flashes when I okay guitar but I'm getting nothing in the multitrack
If you have Windows, did you select the Scarlett Solo as the default playback and recording device in the "Sound" Control Panel app? If you have a Mac, I don't have any idea - someone else will.

You may want to start a separate topic/thread and post as much info as you can about your system and what you've tried and the results. We'll get you going.