Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
moxol
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by moxol » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:52 am

I have a VSTi that sounds low even when volume of track is set to highest.

Is there an effect or something that can raise volume of VSTi?

André Giroux
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:45 pm
Location: Kirkland Lake, Ontario. Canada

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by André Giroux » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi,
maybe try some compression.

moxol
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by moxol » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:02 pm

André Giroux wrote:Hi,
maybe try some compression.
It does the work.
What exactly is this effect?

André Giroux
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:45 pm
Location: Kirkland Lake, Ontario. Canada

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by André Giroux » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 pm

when you have the compressor effect open, bring your cursor on top of it and press F1. The help menu will open with the compressor details

sinbad
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by sinbad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am

You could also check if the VSTi has a gain control somewhere.

moxol
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by moxol » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 am

sinbad wrote:You could also check if the VSTi has a gain control somewhere.
There is a gain inside compressor effect.

nickb2010
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by nickb2010 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Does the VST instrument have a volume, master volume control?

Can you give examples of which VSTi's you are using?

moxol
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by moxol » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 am

nickb2010 wrote:Does the VST instrument have a volume, master volume control?

Can you give examples of which VSTi's you are using?
I was using free VST Ixox_Flute.
It does have volume control, but still I need it higher.

sinbad
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by sinbad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:56 am


moxol
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by moxol » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 am

I tried it already, ixox flute is better, it has softer and warmer sound. I am very pleased with it.

nickb2010
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by nickb2010 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 pm

I downloaded this flute plugin and tested it with MTS. I found no problems with the volume level.

How are you playing the instrument, are you using a MIDI keyboard controller? The VST is touch/velocity sensitive. It did take a bit of a thump to get the maximum level. You could use to Pianoroll editor to manually enter the notes. I believe it defaults to a MIDI velocity level of 90 (levels can be between 0 -127). You could see if the volume is still low that way.

I did notice the "distance" sliders effect the volume levels.....

Nick B

moxol
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by moxol » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:13 pm

nickb2010 wrote:I downloaded this flute plugin and tested it with MTS. I found no problems with the volume level.

How are you playing the instrument, are you using a MIDI keyboard controller? The VST is touch/velocity sensitive. It did take a bit of a thump to get the maximum level. You could use to Pianoroll editor to manually enter the notes. I believe it defaults to a MIDI velocity level of 90 (levels can be between 0 -127). You could see if the volume is still low that way.

I did notice the "distance" sliders effect the volume levels.....

Nick B
Problem is that I am using other VSTi's that are louder and I must lower volume of other VSTi's considerably, so overall volume is a low.

nickb2010
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by nickb2010 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 pm

I did a quick test using the same MIDI data. The right source is the flute VST and the left source the MTS Wheel Organ. I had no problem with the volume levels.

http://www.brickell.info/msw2018/fluteorgan.m4a

I uploaded a c major scale MIDI file with the note volume all set at the max of 127.

http://www.brickell.info/msw2018/cmajormax.mid


If you try this MIDI file the sound should be at it's loudest (without additional processing).

moxol
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by moxol » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:23 am

nickb2010 wrote:I did a quick test using the same MIDI data. The right source is the flute VST and the left source the MTS Wheel Organ. I had no problem with the volume levels.

http://www.brickell.info/msw2018/fluteorgan.m4a

I uploaded a c major scale MIDI file with the note volume all set at the max of 127.

http://www.brickell.info/msw2018/cmajormax.mid


If you try this MIDI file the sound should be at it's loudest (without additional processing).
But MTS instruments are generally very low sounding also.
I am not using MTS instruments, I am using VSTi's DSK Saxophone, Steinberg The Grand 2, Sonatina...

sinbad
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Amplify volume of low VST plugin volume

Post by sinbad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 am

Try Mono Channel or Stereo Channel from Sleepy Time Records https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/0 ... -time-dsp/
You can vary the channel volume individually over and above what mts can.
or Ultra Channel from eventide. https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... trachannel

Post Reply