Any known issues with this?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Tjrich12

Any known issues with this?

Post by Tjrich12 »

Does anyone know of any issues between MTS and the Behringer UMC404HD interface? I'm looking to buy one as a good "bang for the buck" option. I only do stuff for friends as a singer/songwriter so it should fit what I need. I want this model because it's USB 2.0 bus powered but also comes with a power adapter and I want both options. It seems pretty decent for my purposes at $99.00.
Dijon

Re: Any known issues with this?

Post by Dijon »

It should work fine with MTS. I don't have any personal experience with the Behringer units, but in general, I've never had problems running MTS Pro on four different audio interfaces over the years.

You're much more likely to run into system-related issues. You might need to tweak your PC a bit for glitch-free audio recording.

Here are the steps I follow:

- In BIOS, disable any power-saving options (speedstep, etc).
- Disable any programs/tasks that run in the bg. A utility like latencymon can identify tasks that might conflict with audio processing.
- Set energy plan to "high performance".
- Turn off USB power management.
- During recording, disable wi-fi (May or may not be necessary).
- Use USB2 port for connecting USB2 interface (USB3 is backwards-compatible in theory. Not always the case in reality).

- Make sure you install the latest firmware/software-drivers for your interface.

The UMC404HD looks like a lot of kit for the buck. Let us know how it goes!
Tjrich12

Post by Tjrich12 »

Dijon wrote:It should work fine with MTS. I don't have any personal experience with the Behringer units, but in general, I've never had problems running MTS Pro on four different audio interfaces over the years.

You're much more likely to run into system-related issues. You might need to tweak your PC a bit for glitch-free audio recording.

Here are the steps I follow:

- In BIOS, disable any power-saving options (speedstep, etc).
- Disable any programs/tasks that run in the bg. A utility like latencymon can identify tasks that might conflict with audio processing.
- Set energy plan to "high performance".
- Turn off USB power management.
- During recording, disable wi-fi (May or may not be necessary).
- Use USB2 port for connecting USB2 interface (USB3 is backwards-compatible in theory. Not always the case in reality).

- Make sure you install the latest firmware/software-drivers for your interface.

The UMC404HD looks like a lot of kit for the buck. Let us know how it goes!

AWESOME ADVICE! BOOKMARKED Thanks. I checked some YouTube video comparisons between this Behringer unit, the Scarlett 2i2 and an Audient ID22 and the difference in sound was negligible IMO....but the prices were DEFINITELY NOT!

Behringer $99.99 Scarlett 2i2 $149.99 Audient ID22 $499.00

I was concerned with Windows 10 but Behringer says they have that covered.

Here's the blind test I watched, the Behringer is the 204 in the video not the 404 but it has the same preamps. I'd get the 404 because it has both bus and wall wart power in case there's any problems using the bus alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAVp6uT_Iq4

I'll look around more but I like it to this point.
K-N-M

Post by K-N-M »

Great post by Dijon.

I had to tweak my PC to stop glitches some years back, couldn't track audio without glitch noise, was horrible when I set up a new to me desktop PC, think I found similar steps on the Sweetwater site for optimizing the PC; made all the difference once I did.

I suppose interface drivers could be better than others, but yes, sound quality isn't likely to be different between most of the budget interfaces, they all seem to have decent preamps and such. I have used the Scarlett 2i2 and it worked perfectly and a few other Focusrite interfaces. Have been using a Scarlett 8i6 for the past 4 years, which has worked great and still does (it came with Scarlett Mix Control which has been handy for me as well), and have an older Saffire 6 USB as a spare. I've used Presonus Audiobox USB, Akai EIE, and Alesis iO2 Express, (probably others I can't remember) all worked reasonably well, I just like the Focusrite stuff, so have stuck with that for the last number of years; is working great for me, so why swap it!

I only mention me using those units because, they all seemed to work ok in MTS and I do not recall any problems, so the Behringer should work fine. I suppose you could always send it back if you end up not liking it after testing, or it doesn't work right.

Mind you, I use Windows 7 still.