Headphones recommendation

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
moxol

Headphones recommendation

Post by moxol »

I recently bought Genius HS-200C headphones https://www.cnet.com/products/genius-hs-200c-headset/ for using with MTS.
I delibaretly bought cheap headphones beacuse my opinion is if the music mix sound good on them then it'll sound good everywhere.
They have a nice sound, and they are mostly ok for the purpose I intend to, but I noticed a problem.
Headphones have some sound like it's spatial, I think you know what I am talking about.
Also, drums on them sound quieter then on other headphones or speakers.

My question is, what headphones would you recommend in range of this Genius, that would be good for the purpose of sound mixing with MTS?
Dijon

Re: Headphones recommendation

Post by Dijon »

In general, you want a good-quality,reasonably-accurate pair of headphones. That usually rules out unknown, generic headphone makers.

If you can manage it, buy headphones designed for recording/mixing. There've been newer and better offerings for the budget market in recent years. I've been very happy with headphones by Shure and KRK (along with the usual names like Sony, AKG, AT, BeyerDynamic and Sennheiser). For example, the AT ATH-M20x or Sony MDR7502 are both great phones for only $50 USD. There are even cheaper models by name brands but I don't have any experience with them.

If you're not going to record any acoustic instruments or vocals, I suggest getting semi-open or open headphones. These are generally just more natural sounding than the closed-back models. If you are going to record instruments/vocals, the closed-back headphones will not bleed sound outside to your microphone.

With a bit of discipline you can get good results with any pair. Bottom line, no phones are 100% flat (neutral) so regardless of what you get, you will have to learn how yours translate to the real world; having a good quality pair takes you most of the way there.
moxol

Post by moxol »

It's not what I want.
I am looking for a price of 12$ max.
I am not interested in headphones you described, I wrote in my post what exactly I am looking for.
I don't need exact brand or model, but more a guide for specification I should be looking for, like db, impedance, hz...
Dijon

Post by Dijon »

I don't know what to tell you...

As far as specs go, you want lower impedance (say, less than 80 ohm) if you don't have a dedicated headphone amp. The other specs are meaningless with ultra-cheap headphones (I doubt any advertised spec could be believed anyway).

Have you looked in the secondhand market? Maybe ask friends or family if they have a set of headphones they're not using you could have or buy cheap?

Otherwise, just get any pair of headphones that don't drastically color the sound.