what effects for Duane Eddy and rockabilly sounds?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
valiant

what effects for Duane Eddy and rockabilly sounds?

Post by valiant »

If I plug my Gretsch straight into my music computer, rather than using my Fender amp, what effects out of the 30 provided by MTS should I be using to get a twangy Duane Eddy sound? And similarly, what effects should I use to get a rockabilly sound like Cliff Gallup (fifties) or Brian Setzer (modern day)?

I'm sure that some of you guys have sussed this out already, so any pointers would be much appreciated. Cheers!
cidbil

Re: what effects for Duane Eddy and rockabilly sounds?

Post by cidbil »

Load the guitar amp and go through the built in presets, that would be a good place to start. :)
Moozeeck

Post by Moozeeck »

I used http://www.guitar-fxbox.com/ VST for my guitar. I think it's better then built-in MTS Guitar AMP, thought built-in MTS Guitar AMP is good too.
Saz

Post by Saz »

valiant wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:11 am If I plug my Gretsch straight into my music computer, rather than using my Fender amp, what effects out of the 30 provided by MTS should I be using to get a twangy Duane Eddy sound? And similarly, what effects should I use to get a rockabilly sound like Cliff Gallup (fifties) or Brian Setzer (modern day)?
Just the excellent MTS "Guitar Amp Effect" will get you into the ballpark and you can expand from there.

In the "CLEAN" section of "Presets", check out 1965 Tremolo, 1965 Twin Delay, Apache, Slap Bax, Surfing and Twin Verbs.

Tweak the Delay, Echo, Pickup EQ, Reverb and Tremolo effects sections that may be present, to your taste. Don't forget to save the result as your own preset.

Just a suggestion - as a starting point for your Gretsch, try the middle pickup switch position and pick close to the bridge with a medium gauge pick.

Let us know how you fare!
valiant

Post by valiant »

Thanks everybody, and thanks Saz for the suggestion about pickup selector, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Saz, I don't understand where you find 1965 Tremelo, 1965 Twin Delay, etc. My Guitar Amp effect just has tick boxes for combo USA, combo UK, and stack. Plus a box for bright. Then just four rotary knobs (volume, mid, etc). My Tremelo effect just has two knobs with two tick boxes, vintage and stereo.

I'm using a version of MTS from 2013. Are these items that you mentioned contained in a more up to date version?
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi valiant,

The Guitar Amp effect in my MTS version looks like the one here... https://www.multitrackstudio.com/guitaramp.php In the upper-right corner area is the "Presets" button I was referring to.

I don't remember exactly when, but several years ago, Giel released a MTS version with a bunch of presets(good stuff and starting points for tweaking) for just about all of the MTS effects. It probably was after 2013 and may require an upgrade to get the presets.

If you're unable to upgrade, post back and we'll take it from there.
valiant

Post by valiant »

Ah, I understand now; thanks. Yes, my guitar amp menu is more basic than your picture! Looking at the manual which I printed off years ago, I note that I scribbled on it that my MTS version was 5.2.1, so it's clearly an older version than I thought! I'll look through my archived emails to see where I've missed upgrades. Not having done any recording for the past few years, I've clearly let things slip.