MIDI tracks and audio tracks dB level

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
moxol

MIDI tracks and audio tracks dB level

Post by moxol »

If I set MIDI track dB level 0 and master dB level is also 0, and Mix down to .wav file, and then open .wav track in audio track with dB level 0, I can see that original MIDI track and audio track dB level is not the same, audio track plays at a bit lower dB.
Why is that?

The reason I am asking is that I often Mix individual MIDI tracks and open them as audio to reduce memory load and to speed up working, but I expected dB level to be the same, this way I have to manually correct dB level for audio tracks.
Support

Re: MIDI tracks and audio tracks dB level

Post by Support »

A track's pan knob attenuates 3dB if it's at center position, that's why the new track is 3 dB softer than you expect it to be.

There's no such problem if you use a track's Save As option to turn MIDI into audio.

Giel Bremmers
moxol

Post by moxol »

I posted earlier that problems with some VST plugins prevent Save as option for track, so I must use Mix and then Open in track.
Is the solution then to increase dB level of track for +3 when mixing down ?
Support

Post by Support »

moxol wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:12 pm I posted earlier that problems with some VST plugins prevent Save as option for track, so I must use Mix and then Open in track.
I know.
moxol wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:12 pm Is the solution then to increase dB level of track for +3 when mixing down ?
That would do.

Giel Bremmers