effect settings for electric bass

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
valiant

effect settings for electric bass

Post by valiant »

I am currently playing my Hofner bass directly into the computer to create a support track for a guitar track. For the bass, I'm using the guitar amp effect followed by echo and reverb effects, but it still doesn't sound like a bass as played through an amp, more like the low strings of an acoustic guitar. I suspect I'm not using the correct effects, or at least, not the right settings for each effect. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Saz

Re: effect settings for electric bass

Post by Saz »

I haven't tried the MTS Guitar Amp Effect with bass, but typically(depending on genre, of course) recorded bass guitar doesn't use much(if any) echo and reverb effects. That can make for a muddy low-end mess. I'm sure a good bass tone can be had with the Guitar Amp Effect and a little tweaking.

For quick, solid bass tones, I usually turn to the free TSE BOD plugin... https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseBOD

or the free GK Amplification 2 LE plugin... https://shop.audified.com/products/live ... -bundle-le
Rcoul

Post by Rcoul »

I use the built in amp and get a great bass tone by loading a bass cabinet IR . There are several free ones to download on the net. My favorites are the Ampeg SVT ones. A touch of compression and a bit of EQ and I'm getting a tone just as good as any amp sim.
NoTech

Post by NoTech »

Hi,

When many legendary bass tracks were done, the act of simply 'going direct' was used. In this world of insane technology, it's easy to run away with all the candy, lol. Here's a little trick.
As a guitarist/'composer' tracking alone, I have great success using a pitch shifter to lower any given note on my electric guitar, then eliminating the upper octave with the pedal/device's parameters.
One should know that almost any electric guitar's electronics in this regard are no different than say, a Fender Jazz bass or Precision bass, the most emulated electric basses out there.. Therefore, if you lower the octave, you shall get pretty much a straight-up Fender bass (or with humbuckers perhaps a vintage Gibson or modern bass) tone, straight from any electric guitar.
Here's my general point: ~just go direct~.. esp. with that beautiful Hofner. Skip amping and effects ~except~ for the option of any tube preamp, use of compression and EQ.. maybe an overdrive pedal. I work with a few amazing professional bassists and musicians and a couple have said, "whoa man! what bassist did you call for this session?!' 😂

Dig it!
NT