Switching OS

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
silexmt

Switching OS

Post by silexmt »

I want to transfer my songs, made on MacOS, to Windows. All works fine except for my 3rd party VST plugins; I've installed their Windows version and they work without problem when I open a new instance, but MTS can't find the original ones. This is only happening with 3rd party plugins, the built-in ones open fine with all my settings intact.

Is there a way to make the plugins open with my settings, or am I looking forward for a long day of screen-grabbing, copy-pasting or whatnot for like dozens of tracks?
Support

Re: Switching OS

Post by Support »

This should work, and it does work for the cases we test with every release.

Note that VST2 and VST3 versions of a certain plugin aren't the same thing: if it's VST2 on Mac it must be VST2 on Windows. Same for VST3.

Giel Bremmers
silexmt

Post by silexmt »

I figured a way around eventually: I just opened new instances of the plugin next to the non-loading ones, saved and quit, then I opened the hdr in WordPad and changed the original plugin's header for the new one, i.e. .vst to .dll, "filename" to "bundlename" (or the other way around, I forget) then saved. Now the plugins open in MT, with all my settings back. Unelegant, but it works, and the whole process takes only a couple of minutes for the entire song.
Support

Post by Support »

Clever!

I found two things that can go wrong with VST plugins when loading a Mac song in the Windows version:
1. MTS is trying to be a bit too smart in order to find the plugins as fast as possible. A quick test suggests about 10% of the plugins aren't found. Will dumb it down a bit ;-)
2. 64 bits MTS won't find 32 bits VST plugins (and vice versa).

In case you have more songs to do: I think it will work if the VST plugins in question have been loaded at least once since starting MTS. So you can load the VST plugins first, and then open the song. Then save the song so it will always work in the future.

Giel Bremmers