Changing a song’s tempo so a freely recorded MIDI part lines up with the official song tempo?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
LeftyChris

Changing a song’s tempo so a freely recorded MIDI part lines up with the official song tempo?

Post by LeftyChris »

Is there a way to do this in MultitrackStudio?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rfhEPtQMYY

Kenny Gioia makes great Reaper tutorial videos and this is a very useful video for Reaper users, but the title of this video is nonetheless incomplete. It should be called: How to find •and change• a song’s tempo - MIDI.

And that is what I would like to do in MTS. I would like to be able to change the song’s official tempo but without speeding up or slowing down the speed of the MIDI recording.

The idea is to be able to record a MIDI part without a click track and then to change the song’s tempo so that the tempo lines up with the recorded MIDI part. The video above explains how to do this in Reaper - I included the video here to give a better idea of what I would like to do. Is it possible to do this in MultitrackStudio for Mac?

Also, is it possible to do this in MultitrackStudio for iPad? I figured I would just ask this here too rather than also posting this same question to the MTS for iPad forum.
uncle808us

Re: Changing a song’s tempo so a freely recorded MIDI part lines up with the official song tempo?

Post by uncle808us »

I use Reaper and MTS so thanks for the video I also want to know if this can be done in MTS, Thanks for the video.
LeftyChris

Re: Changing a song’s tempo so a freely recorded MIDI part lines up with the official song tempo?

Post by LeftyChris »

uncle808us wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 am I use Reaper and MTS so thanks for the video I also want to know if this can be done in MTS, Thanks for the video.
I hope it is possible to do this in MTS. I like Reaper and have been using it for a while, but I find myself using my iPad so frequently these days, and MTS is my favorite iOS DAW.

Once I learned that there is also a Mac version of MTS, I had to try it out, so now I often go back and forth between the two versions of MTS. I still use Reaper but it makes for such a great workflow to have the same program on iOS and on desktop.
Support

Post by Support »

There are two ways to do this:

Click the 'Detach' checkbox in the bottom right corner of the Tempo Editor. Then edit the tempo.
https://multitrackstudio.com/tempo.php mentions this (almost at the end of the page).

- Add a new track and record yourself tapping the beat. You can play a MIDI keyboard or clap your hands for example.
- optionally edit the track if your beats aren't accurate enough.
- click the down pointing arrow next to the BPM box at the top of the main window. Choose 'Extract tempo from track'. In the new window pick the track with the beats.

Neither option is in the iPad version.

Giel Bremmers
LeftyChris

Post by LeftyChris »

Support wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:03 am There are two ways to do this:

Click the 'Detach' checkbox in the bottom right corner of the Tempo Editor. Then edit the tempo.
https://multitrackstudio.com/tempo.php mentions this (almost at the end of the page).

- Add a new track and record yourself tapping the beat. You can play a MIDI keyboard or clap your hands for example.
- optionally edit the track if your beats aren't accurate enough.
- click the down pointing arrow next to the BPM box at the top of the main window. Choose 'Extract tempo from track'. In the new window pick the track with the beats.

Neither option is in the iPad version.

Giel Bremmers
Wonderful! Thank you for explaining it. I am glad that this is possible in MTS for Mac. So that I understand the nature of the two methods, let me ask follow up questions about each method:

Method 1, clicking the the Detach checkbox: Am I correct in thinking that this would be used if the MIDI recording is “freestyle” but nevertheless has even, consistent beats? In other words, would this method be used for a recording whose tempo does not exactly match the grid, but that nonetheless has an even, consistent tempo that does not waver or speed up or slow down?

Method 2, tapping the beat, etc.: Is this akin to what is sometimes called tempo mapping (in Reaper and Logic, for example)? Is this the method one would use if a MIDI recording does *not* have even, consistent beats? In other words, is this the method to use on a MIDI recording in which the tempo is uneven, so that it wavers or either speeds up or slows down in parts - and thus, the recording cannot fit onto any normal MIDI grid?
Support

Post by Support »

That's a good way to look at it. But either method can get the job done.

Giel Bremmers
LeftyChris

Post by LeftyChris »

Support wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:59 am That's a good way to look at it. But either method can get the job done.

Giel Bremmers
Excellent, thanks! I look forward to trying them both out!
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

"- click the down pointing arrow next to the BPM box at the top of the main window. Choose 'Extract tempo from track'. In the new window pick the track with the beats."
I can't find this option.
Support

Post by Support »

There's no BPM box in your picture. You can see it here:

It may not be preset, depending on screen size and UI scaling factor. In that case you can temporarily make the main window wider than the screen.

Giel Bremmers