HEADPHONE TROUBLES

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
moriarty

HEADPHONE TROUBLES

Post by moriarty »

Hi MTS users, I have a problem. I have a new set of Monitors and a BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC202HD INTERFACE. When i try to record vocals or guitar,
im only getting one side into my headphones. I've never had this before so i'm wondering if i'm missing something in the setting up phase of the DAW?
Your expert opinions would be very much appreciated! When i do record a vocal etc. it comes out fine on playback. Thanking you in advance
Support

Re: HEADPHONE TROUBLES

Post by Support »

Perhaps you're recording a mono source to a stereo track? The right channel is silent if you do that. Use a mono track instead.

Giel Bremmers
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Hi,

Are you monitoring using the Behringer headphones out?

If I remember rightly, the 202 is the basic model and doesn't have a separate monitor level control.

It's off-putting I know but it only outputs to one side of your headphones.
Saz

Post by Saz »

I have that same interface and use the headphone out to monitor in stereo with MTS. No problems.

Make sure the "Direct Monitor" switch is in the out position.

As Giel said, use a mono track with a mono source or use a stereo track with a stereo source. You can also use a stereo track with a mono source if you use a mono-to-stereo VST plugin in the track.
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Hello again,

I just checked with a friend who uses a Behringer 202 HD. He says its main disadvantage is that Direct monitoring is only done in mono. Playback is in stereo as it should be.
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hedgehog wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:38 am Hello again,

I just checked with a friend who uses a Behringer 202 HD. He says its main disadvantage is that Direct monitoring is only done in mono.
That's why I suggested disengaging the "Direct Monitor" switch(the out position).

"Direct Monitor" is fine for checking an input "source", but the "Soft Monitoring" available in MTS, is what you want for tracking/mixing.
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Hi,

That's why I asked if the Behringer 202HD's headphones out was being used to monitor the input......

I think that the Behringer 204HD has the ability to monitor in stereo. That's if you want to monitor in stereo using the interface.
moriarty

Post by moriarty »

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and expertise regarding my headphones. You truly are great people out there in MTS land.
Yes , my interface records in mono so I've ordered a couple of connectors to solve the problem.
Once again, thank you all! :D
Saz

Post by Saz »

Glad you're getting it sorted out. It's tough to record music when you can't monitor properly.

Just be assured, with the Behringer UMC202HD interface, that you can record one(1) stereo source (or 2 mono sources) and you can soft monitor in stereo from the front panel headphone jack (with level control).

I've been doing it over a year now. :wink: